2003 Specialized Stumpjumper disc (newbie)

paulr1980

Devout Dirtbag
No pics as yet but I thought I'd get a thread going.

This is my first build in 10 years.. I haven't been biking for about that long properly other than a trip to the Cairngorms in 09 which got me inspired. That and the fact that my boss has an Orange Five and left a few MBR's and MBUK's around.

So the idea was that I'd build something up (this will be my third custom build) made from mostly secondhand parts off ebay and the obvious forums.

I've had a mooch around and this forum is great. Bikeradar is full of kids, singletrack has a weird set up with no logical subforums. So I'll be a resident of here from now on.. and also seeing all the old anodised kit from the early nineties when I got into biking gives me the horn :p

Anyway, here's where I am so far.. It ain't all gucci kit but it'll get me started.

17" 2003 Stumpjumper frame, repainted or powdercoated in lime green decal free at the moment although I found some on ebid and have them on the way.

Marzocchi MX comp forks
in pretty good condition. I'll service them before final assembly but stanchions are fine and I got lucky with the steerer tube length as I hadn't even received the frame when I bought the forks.

- Specialized OE seatpost and collar
- Madison flux saddle (free with MBUK subscription) in white
- Easton EA50 stem
- Raceface Ride OS bars
- Onza Mongo 3 headset in ano blue
- red and blue ano spacers
- ODI peaty grips in white with red and blue lock-on's
- Mavic 321 rim with Hope XC hub (rear) HG50 cassette
- Novatec White skewers
- Clarks Skeletal brake set

...and that's it at the moment. It's looking pretty good in my head. The new decals will make a big difference.

I'm just hoping the green frame will work ok with the white accents AND the red and blue ano. Who know's hey..

Thanks for reading and I'll obviously update with pics when I get back to work and grab some.

some good kit there!
i swear by mx comps! :D such a good fork!!

i think the colours will go, theyre all primary after all! :D

not sure on the white though, i will trade ya if you like?

welcome!

p.s PICS! :LOL: ;)

cyfa2809":15lxt7ol said:
some good kit there!
i swear by mx comps! :D such a good fork!!

i think the colours will go, theyre all primary after all! :D

not sure on the white though, i will trade ya if you like?

welcome!

p.s PICS! :LOL: ;)

couldn't agree more with the MX comps.
i've got an '04 long travel (120mm) pair of MX comps and they are super plush, and don't weight all that much either.

So I got some more bits through today and put the bike together a bit. The decals came through as did the headset and front brake.

Here's how it looks now. :)

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

Thoughts?

Sorry for the massive pics. I should have resized to 800x600. I will do for the next set.

Also, since then I finally got the star fangled in and set up the forks/stem. The guesstimation hasn't left me any space for spacers which is a shame. I'll try it out when it's built and maybe get a different stem.

It also looks like a really steep head angle in the photo's but doesn't look too bad in real life.

pics are great
:cool:
06 mx comps, manual weight says just below 1700g i think :cool:
i like the build! looks ace

Looking really good. Are the decals of decent quality? Thinking of getting some in due course for a rockhopper but I never trust the bay.

Grean is a classic colour and looks the dogs

Latest posts

Back