Marin Wolf Ridge Y2K Project

milko

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Inspired by benandemu's mount vision I have begun (what I can only assume will be the long task of) stripping down my 2000 Wolf Ridge. I may have secured a fox float to replace the old vanilla and then I was hoping to get it stripped and polished thinking of going for the original style marin logo (fluro yellow) and maybe either mat powder coating or anodizing the swing arm (any help on these would be appreciated and if I go with fluro decals do I go for black or gray swing arm?) I have however I have run into two problems, so advice would be appreciated:

1) The main pivot is stuck in the frame bolts are out but the bit running through the frame wont budge.

2) Don't want to hand my frame over to any old tom dick or harry to media blast so does anyone know anyone good around the Winchester area? Or would I be best to just go with the nitromors/autosol/elbow grease route?

main.php

Original(ish) but sorry state

main.php
main.php

The offending pivot axel

Nice project :cool: , have you tried giving the shaft in the main pivot a gentle tap with a drift ?, normaly they just push/drift out when one or both of the bolts are removed.

Cant help with the blasting (i've always Nitromorsed paint) but most powdercoaters also blast paint off, if you are going to get the rear arm powdercoated anyway may be just as well to let them blast the frame at the same time .

Yup, went to town on it for an hour, no movement. Going to try to fashion a mini reverse headset press type of affair but I think it will strip the thread.

If you are really stuck you could try BETD, he did a good job sorting out the main pivot on my 94 FSR, would mean posting the frame to them though.

Was it pricey? I have just been and gotten a few bits and bobs to make a press to try to push it out although I cant see it working.

I think it was £50 or so (was a while ago), postage both ways on top of that, that was him turning up a new shaft in a lathe and fitting new bushes though, yours may not need that.

He knows his stuff with full sussers though ;)

fit a bolt through it and the some spacers etc, that are larger than the axle on the other side
i did this with my i drive axle
put a standard wheel axle through a socket and then through the pivot axle
then the other end i used a bigger socket but that only got it so far so i had to keep adding things
basically, one socket pulled the pivot axle into the larger socket on the other end ;)

I manufactured a press with some long bolts etc but it did nothing but strip the thread. So I went back to brute force and hey presto its out. Trying out the nitromors on the swing arm while I wait for the tool to arrive for taking out the bottom bracket.

One tin of nitromors later and it has bearly taken off the laquer and silver geycolour on the swing arm so now it is down to th black undercoat.

Back