2000 Orange Mr O project updated 5th November

ferrit

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I have been toying with getting something full suspension for a while now, I also havent had anything retro for a while so though I would combine the two deficiencies in the stable in one fell swoop.

I spotted the 2000 Orange Mr O d/h frame listed by Kaya a while ago and kept going back to look at it, finally made my mind up and went for it late last week. It turned up on Monday and whilst probably OK to build up and ride it did have a well used patina so I have stripped it down ready for a fresh powder coat.

Problem I have is I cannot decide whether to do a period retro build or a hot rod with more modern kit. As with all my builds I do like to use UK kit where I can and this would be relatively achievable whether going full retro or hot rod spec.

Suggestions are welcomed as I just cannot make up my mind

Frame as it came from Kaya
IMG_2601-1.jpg

IMG_2602-1.jpg

Stripped and ready to go for powder coat
DSCF0625.jpg

Original "retro" Orange spec build
mr0.jpg

Hot Rod build from Pink bike running Shivers on 24"s
pbpic764154-1.jpg

pbpic764153.jpg

Yeah I am thinking the same thing, the only reason I can see to run 24s on this would be to quicken it up in the twisty stuff.

Having said that when I looked over the geometry for this, which was marketed as a pure downhill machine back in 2000 it has the near as damn it the same head & seat angle, chainstay length and overall wheel base as some of the current Orange range being sold as freeride/all mountain. Its posatively tame compared to the angles on the current 224

Oh how times have changed

Interested in seeing this progress, did you get those Monster T's in the for sale section ?, it'll be a beast with those on it.

I'm running 24's on my DH8 project but as xizang said tyre choice seems to be limited (maybe this is why Specialized stopped doing the 24" Big Hit ?), went for 24's to lower the bike and help with standover but the tyres are so chunky it has'nt helped that much :roll:, hopefully the 24's will make the bike feel less of a handfull though, or maybe i should hit the jym more :)

Not landed the Monsters yet, I am awaiting pics. Still not sure whether to go fo something more modern like 888s.

mmmmm Shivers oh yeah very nice.

Anyone know where i can find some good ones? Theres a set on fleabay but they have a crack in the top crown

ferrit":3mcydgxz said:
mmmmm Shivers oh yeah very nice.

Anyone know where i can find some good ones? Theres a set on fleabay but they have a crack in the top crown

Do BETD do replacement crowns ?, may be better waiting for a non cracked set anyway.

Shivers are nice but i'd prefer the Monsters, had a mint set that i sold on when an earlier project got abandoned, probably the mintest early Monsters in existance :cry: , having said that i've not had the chance to ride both properly, only the Shivers briefly.

One thing i can say is the Shivers are very easy to strip and service (as with most Marzocchi forks), seals and bushes are cheap and easily available, the E-bay guy that sold me my Shivers said a slight leak is inevitable with USD's (mine were leaking when bought) but i considered that a load of bull, i heard they were £1200 odd when new, i'd find even a slight leak unacceptable on £1200 forks USD or not.

Mine have been fine after seals and a service anyway, not ridden them yet though but have done some extensive kitchen floor bounce testing and they passed this with flying colours :LOL:

Nice, I also kept looking at this, but ended up with a Patriot instead.

Will watch this with great interest.

Woohoo things are moving on, the frame is away being powder coated and I have done the deal for these puppies

dsc01173_651_151.jpg

As soon as the Monsters arrive they are being stripped down and sent away for the crowns and legs mirror polishing.

Now trying to get my head around what to do about decals

Back