Merlin Rock Lobster

Tazio

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Specs -

Frame: Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (year unknown, late 90's?)

Fork: Marzocchi Bomber 2001
Headset: Onza Mongo III with red Hope spacer
Stem: Syncros
Handlebar: Ritchey Comp flat
Grips: Lizard Skin Peaty

Brakes: XTR M960
Brake Pads: XTR M960
Brake Cables: XTR Grey outers
Brake Levers: XTR M950

Shifters: STX Rapidfire (they work)
Front Derailleur: Deore LX (M590?)
Rear Derailleur: XT M737
Derailleur Cables: Clark with Red Outers
Cassette: Shimano 7 speed
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: Deore LX
Pedals: Wellgo XT copies. Blue ano DMR V8s on their way.

Hub Skewers: Mavic
Rims: Bontrager Superstock black, 24 front radial, 28 rear
Hubs: Bontrager
Nipples: Yep, not many though
Spokes: nice black ones, not many
Tyres: Panaracer FireXCPro 1.8
Tubes: Bontrager

Saddle: Flite Gelflow Titanium
Seatpost: Unbranded Carbon
Seatpost Binder: Hope Red

Weight: Almost bang on 10kg or 22lbs.

This is now 95% ready with just blue ano pedals to add.

I bought the frame off RobM when I was looking for a small cheap frame to build a SS hack. But after getting it home and dumping it in the hall I realised it was too good for that as it had a nice unusual paint job and was very light. So it became a full build instead of just a hack. The first thing I ordered was a set of decals from Gil M but as he didn't have the Team Tig SL I decided to buy them anyway and cut off the 853 from them.

Many other parts from on here then followed over a few weeks. The plan was to collect them all in a box and have a nice Sunday in the garden assembling it all but I got impatient and ended up building it in series of short bursts and then finally adding all the cables. Small panic near the end when I realised that like a fool I'd overlooked that I may need a different BB. And of course I did.

This was really an experiment in a way as I hadn't built a bike for years and wanted to see if I could still do it. It appears I can and I'm pretty pleased with it. The colour is pretty unusual and is like Audi Pearlescent White, it looks white in some light and silver in others.

Attachments

• Left.JPG
    Left.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 3,559
  • rearside.JPG
    rearside.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 3,560
  • drive.JPG
    drive.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 3,559
  • decal2.JPG
    decal2.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 3,559
A couple more.

Attachments

• headset.JPG
    headset.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 3,546
  • Back.JPG
    Back.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 3,546
looking good my man, make sure the carbon post is a good one, this happened to my cheap one

post3.jpg

got two red bottle holder bolts to swap for 2 blue ones if you want ;)

I've got an aluminium BMX seatpost for anything that might threaten my rear end so I can lower the saddle without scraping the post. It comfy as it is for scooting aboot but may be too high for offroad uless I just climbed, and I don't like that!

I spent ages trying to decide whether to make the bottle bolts red, blue or mixed.

Tempted :D

Jambo ya say? :? :LOL: Nicely done buddy :cool: hows it riding?

Looking good. One of the better bikes i've seen on here recently - somethign i'd like to ride myself.

Not 100% sure on the stem myself, but always something that is personal preference

kaiser":kkp9rqk1 said:
Jambo ya say? :? :LOL: Nicely done buddy :cool: hows it riding?

Jambo by the grace of God :D

It's riding very nicely, the XTR V's are bloody amazing, I didn't think V's could pull that well. I had a bit of an issue getting the crown race far enough onto the steerer due to a bit of a tight fit. So took it for a good thrash today, and as predicted the forks got a bit loose feeling by the time I got home. Sorted! Retightened everything and it's sitting sweet as a nut now.

coomber":1pckf4sd said:
Looking good. One of the better bikes i've seen on here recently - somethign i'd like to ride myself.

Not 100% sure on the stem myself, but always something that is personal preference

Cheers mate. The stem does have a fair bit of rise but it meant I could go with flat bars. If it proves to be wrong for me I'll change it to something I can have risers with. It's at the make it pretty stage just now, as it gets ridden harder sheer practicality will take over.

Latest posts

Back