My 2003 Specialized Sworks M5

Sparkzz

Retro Guru
Hi all,

New to writing posts, but a long time lurker... Love this forum!.. takes me back to the 80's when I first started riding. Such a great collection of bikes on here!!.

Anywho, my history.. first proper MTB was a specialized Rockhopper comp which got stolen (turned our to be a mate who stole it).

Second MTB was a Klein Rascal in pink/black which i upgraded with red/white/blue bullseye hubs and full campag groupset.

Third was then this SWORKS when i got it in 2004 and quit riding shortly after, and wasnt rode again until a year ago, so the bike is still in fantastic condition..

At the time was building an Airbourne Titanium which i bought as a frame set, and all the components from Dave Hinde. I then didnt like the Airbourne so sold the frame and transfered all parts onto the sworks.

Since I got a modern racer (Trek 9.9SSL Top Fuel) and now the sworks sits loney 3 times a week in the garage. :(

Any way, here are the pics of my sworks, and also can see the Trek in the last piccy!

Cheers!

BIKE2-1.jpg

BIKE1.jpg

IMG_7879.jpg

IMG_7881.jpg

Nice looking bike. And the last photo reminds me once more why I prefer old bikes. The modern Trek is doubtless a fantastic bit of kit but I just can't like the styling of modern bikes. To much going on. You can't beat the shape of a couple of clean triangles (or 3 for some people!)

Yes i know exaclty what you mean.. I am still well into my old classic hardtails, and am still on the look out for the perfect "Klein Attitude"

The trek is a nice bike, It is very comfortable, and handles very well. I bought it as the "race bike" & training, and still use the other for social rides, well actually cant ride the sworks anymore, as its way too small for me!. its a 17" and I am 6ft tall.

@orange 71.

Unfortunatly due to the age that i was when i owned the Klein, (17 and not appriciating it I treated that bike like crap).. Used to jump it, ghost run it etc etc.. And in the end it got stolen.. To this day, I really really regret treating it so badly and being careless on the way it got nicked.. and wish i still had it!! :( it was a superb bike.

hmm, maybe i have the date wrong..

I bought the bike new as the stock clearence before the new range got released, I was sure I got the bike in 2004, which made the bike 2003.

Could well have been the previous year. Not too sure if I have the receipt to check.

Cheers for the photos.. I love this bike! and colour. Just before this bike I have the stumpjumper (blue/silver).. Sold it too a mate, when I saw the sworks hanging on the wall! :)

Latest posts

Back