Project "White Elephant" - Pace RC200 F6 rebuild

OB2233

Retro Newbie
Hi there, well i've been floating around on here for a while, getting ideas and looking for inspiration before embarking on my own labour of love, Project "White Elephant".

Its a 1997(?) Pace RC200 F6 (F61811:cool:, purchased from Ebay whilst in Afghanistan and so didn't see it for another 3 months. When i did, and having forgotten i'd bought it, it was in average nick, Pace RC36 forks, but pretty poor kit otherwise, a mix of Shimano STX RC and some other no name bits and pieces, definitely retro but not really much cop. I had the bike stripped and closer inspection revealed a fair amount of dings and scrapes and peeling decals.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 2,109
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2,109
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 2,109
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 2,109
Off the bike went to Argos cycles in Bristol for a respray in pearlescent white. They di an absolutely awesome job on it and i'd thoroughly recommend them (looking at a 4week turnaround though).

On going back to the bike shop to be rebuilt disastrously they discovered the tiniest of cracks in the headtube. So small it didn't even show up when i took a picture, but with the aid of a magnifying glass (yes really) was visible. It was no wonder that thus far everyone had missed it. A phonecall to Pace themselves came up with the name of Sponden Engineering. Apparently they used to fix RC200s back in the day and for a very resonable price were able to put the plate on you see below. No prizes for guessing how much it broke me to have the paint stripped off......

So fixed, back it went to be sprayed....again before being built up....[/img]

Attachments

• IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,102
  • IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 2,102
Spondon build some absolutely stunning motorbike frames

Looks like their typical high quality work you have there bud

I would wear that plate on my headtube with pride :cool:

Gc

Which brings us to today, with the bike finally finished......

I've gone for mainly new parts, less the Ringle stem i've always wanted, but couldn't afford when i was 12 years old. Its running a 1x9 drivetrain, all X0 stuff, SID World cups and 1.5 tyres. Various other Carbon goodies too. not sure how much it weighs but i'm sure its Sub 20lbs, maybe even as low as 18lbs?

Love to know what you all think?

Attachments

• IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,096
  • IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 2,096
  • IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 2,096
  • IMG_1130.JPG
    IMG_1130.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 2,096
Although the HT has caused heartache - I think the repair looks great and somehow (for me anyway) suits the frame :D

Nice modern/retro build - looks light - any idea on weight?

That looks fantastic now, deffinately worth the pain.

May I ask what bar you have on it?

Is it my imagination or is the seat post out of alignment with the seat tube?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That is stunning mate.

The head repair actually brings so much more character to the bike too :D

I want one

Thanks for the feedback, nice to know its gone down well, wasn't sure if i'd unwittingly unleash the wrath of the traditionalists!

In answer to a couple of the questions:

May I ask what bar you have on it?

Is it my imagination or is the seat post out of alignment with the seat tube?

The bar is a FSA K-Force Flat bar circa 2005/6, http://www.bikeradar.com/ROAD/gear/cate ... bar-17250/

As for the seatpost being skewiff, i think (hope) its just the picture, looks alright in the metal, and its a ridiculously long 420mm seatpost, i'm 6ft and its an 18" frame so should be fine!

No idea on the weight of the bike as unfortunately i don't have scales handy. I'm hoping it comes in at about 18lbs. With no front derailleur and one chainring, all the carbon bits and the 1.5" tyres it may even (optimistically)be less. It should be, that Tune saddle isn't all that comfy!

Attachments

• IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1117.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 2,034
Back