2008 Voodoo D-Jab - road setup

Mr Footlong

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi folks
This is the final incarnation of my D-Jab. Had the 20" at first and it was a great big hulking frame that I just didn't get on with so I sourced a smaller one. Since I never used her for offroad I slowly changed the spec down to something more speed oriented for the long distance road riding/speed training I do on her with the ability to safely jump on/off kerbs etc when needed without the fear of things bending.... More comfortable and forgiving than a racer for me at least and not much slower but tougher for my ape-like frame. Dead on 21lbs so not bad. Spec:

17.5" Voodoo D-Jab Titanium Frame
Pace RC31 Carbon/Ti rigid forks
Van Nicholas 120mm Ti Stem
Chris King Headset in red
Ritchey WCS Carbon Handlebars
ODI Yeti Grips, Hope Red bar caps and X-Lite Red Barends
USE Alien Cyclops Ti Seatpost
Selle Italia Flite Ti Saddle
FSA Afterburner Megaexo chainset with TA Chinook 50t Outer Ring
Time Atac Carbon XS Ti Clipless Pedals
Formula R1 Disc Brakes, 180mm rotors and a red Northshore Rear 180mm IS bracket
Shimano XTR-M970 Shifters, front/rear Derailleurs
SRAM PG-990 Red 11-34 Rear Cassette
SRAM PC991 Chain
Custom built wheelset - Red Hope Hubs, Mavic XC717 rims, DT Swiss Champion spokes
Continental Grand Prix 26 tyres with Continental Tour 26 slim tubes and Dr Sludge Tyre Sealent in them
Hope Quick Releases in red
Spezialized Zee Bottle Cage
Red anodized bolts pretty well everywhere I could put them and Ti bolts for the important areas.

Pics:

voodoofinal1.jpg

voodoofinal2.jpg

voodoofinal3.jpg

voodoofinal4.jpg

various other pictures of her from and her twin from when I first had them here

While you may not like what I have done with her, please bear in mind what I said about using her solely for riding on road, from point to point, as fast as I can :D.

Cheers,

Nick :)

That looks so very fast :shock:

50T chainring is a touch of retro modernness ;)

I really like the look of those frames - plus they seem a bargain as a full build option.

For commuting though are you not tempted by 700c wheels?

She does go very well thanks :D.

The thought of 700c wheels didn't even cross my mind as she is still a MTB at the end of the day and I liked keeping my options open as if I eventually cave in and get a racer then I can change her back to something else.

The 50t was an absolute must and sadly the biggest that I could find anywhere for modern MTB cranks. If I could find bigger on a 4 arm 104pcd I would fit it! Back in the day when racer rings could be interchanged with MTB ones on my old Cro-Mega I used to run the biggest racer ring I could back then for maximum downhilling madness :twisted:.

I hate to say this but I am thinking about selling her. I hurt my back a few weeks ago, but while it normally heals quite quickly, I have been riding this every week and along with woman's bloody awful bed my back is getting worse. 6'7" and a small frame at my age just isn't working anymore :( :(. I think I am going to admit defeat and get a large framed racer (yuk) that I can also easily use on my turbo trainer :(.

yep sell it in parts & get yourself a proper roadie.
if you do so i'm looking for a fork just like this one :) ;)

I haven't put her up for sale yet and will only be splitting if I have absolutely no choice at all :). I bought a 60cm Eddy Merckx EMX-3 roadie but Sh*tty Link smashed in the rear of the frame shipping it from the shop and it was the last one they had................................

Btw, she cost £3k to build and most of the bits are pretty damn new so I am going to be looking at around the £1800 mark complete, which will scare off most people no doubt :D .

Back