My Hotrod

crusty

Retro Newbie
Who can guess what it is?; should be a piece of cake for you guys… ;)

It’s a rider, hence the modern bits n’ pieces, hopefully not too sacrilegious, and obviously the bike still needs a bunch tweaking. I’m totally open to advice and suggestions… :)

RE: hardtails, I used to be able to go on epic 5+ hour rides without feeling beat-up. Nowadays, 1.5 hours, and it feels like I’ve been in the ring with Mike Tyson. :oops: Am I nuts to be contemplating trading in my baby for a 2010 carbon Blur?

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0312a.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

;) ;) :oops:

crusty":1aj4iriw said:
Who can guess what it is?; should be a piece of cake for you guys… ;)

It’s a rider, hence the modern bits n’ pieces, hopefully not too sacrilegious, and obviously the bike still needs a bunch tweaking. I’m totally open to advice and suggestions… :)

very nice kona king kahuna ?
first off i would cut those brake hoses

Thanks guys. Yeah, I agree with you xced, the brake hoses need to lose a few inches.

The only mountain bikes I've ever owned have been Kona's because I've always loved the geometry:

First Kona: Early 90's 19" Explosif, bright lime green. -- SOLD

I'm about 5'7.6" w/ a ~31" inseam and realized that 19" was a little big. A nice Hot came along so I upgraded..

Second Kona: Early/Mid 90's 17" Hot (Tom Teesdale made w/ the ribbed down tube), pale lemon/Ferrari yellow. -- SOLD

Always wanted a Ti bike so I ordered a King Kahuna, thought 17" was smallish so I went with an 18" frame.

Third Kona: 96 18" King Kahuna with the 6-4 rear triangle; I remember the sales pitch went something like this: :twisted: "Dude, the tubing is the exact same stuff they're using to build the Apache Attack Helicopter." -- SOLD

After riding the 6-4 KK for several months I realized that 17" would have been a better choice after-all. So, I ordered a 17" KK.

Fourth Kona: 98 17" King Kahuna pictured in this thread. Based on the serial number I'd have to say it was the first 17" KK frame built in 1998.

I couldn't afford a complete KK so I always went with just the frame and built it up from there. I rode these bikes everywhere; paved trails, dirt trails, in the mountains, to school, to work, 365 days a year (studded Nokian Hakkapeliitta's work great on polished/rutted ice :cool:); my favorite has always been fast, gnarly, roller-coaster like tight single track...

Just picked up a 16" Fire Mountain for my kid....I also just sealed a deal/bargain on a nice little gem; I'll post some pics when I have more time.. :D

Back