GT Zaskar 1998

matt_bass

Retro Newbie
Perhaps like a lot of new members I decided to dig my old mountain bike out of storage and do a bit of a search on the internet to find out how things have progressed. I'm glad to find a site where the passion for these retro machines still lives on!

I know Zaskar's are not the rarest of machines but I thought some of you might like to see my one. I think it's a 1998 model although the frame number indicates it was manufactured in 1997.

This is actually the third Zaskar frame I have owned. I managed to bend a 1996 model which was replaced with a 1997. That one only lasted a year as well so GT kindly replaced it again with the frame shown in the picture. Working part time in a bike shop probably helped. I seemed to bend the seat tube back slightly around where the seat stays cross over - despite the Zaskar's reputation for being bombproof and me having arms and legs like twigs back then!! :shock:

When I originally built it up in about 1996 it started off with rigid forks and a mostly XT groupset. Over the course of time I upgraded to some XTR parts and the Marzocchi Z2's.

One frustrating thing is that all these years later the bike is still too big for me! :oops: I blame it on GT with their crazy sizings and the fact the each time I received a replacement frame it seemed slightly bigger than the last. I probably should have measured it up properly before rebuilding the bike.

I've been keeping an eye on eBay over the past couple of weeks for an 18" Zaskar frame from about 97-98 so maybe I'll finally get the bike to fit properly and maybe I'll continue my quest from about 12 years ago to complete the XTR M950 groupset!

Attachments

• zaskar.jpg
    zaskar.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 2,850
Lovely, I had a Backwoods with those Z2s, trying to look like a Zaskar. Now I know without having to fork out!

matt_bass":39tq6p0z said:
I've been keeping an eye on eBay over the past couple of weeks for an 18" Zaskar frame from about 97-98 so maybe I'll finally get the bike to fit properly and maybe I'll continue my quest from about 12 years ago to complete the XTR M950 groupset!

Your red forks and bit would look sweet on this blue ano Zaskar currently for sale :cool:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=108959

Yep that's right. GT called it a 20" but measured c-t-t it is over 22" :shock:

I'm 6 foot 2 but even then it's still a bit on the big side really!

When I was deciding on forks Judy SL's were all the rage, but I knew that although heavier the Z2's were that bit tougher and didn't require much servicing, etc.

Before this bike I'd had a set of Manitou II's on another frame. The difference between those and the Z2's was amazing! :)

Back