Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:40 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:06 am 
Dirt Disciple

I've just completed my first bike strip and parts transfer to another frame. I had a lots of fun doing it and learned a lot from it. (On the backend of this, I plan to put together a 6 speed 'pub bike' over the Summer). Anyway..

My son has owned his Schwinn for 3 or 4 years but the frame was too small for him. I inherited a Trek frame which was completely stripped of parts (except the hanger). I hoped it would be a relatively pain-free process of swapping all the Schwinn parts straight over to the Trek frame.

First I prepared the Trek frame for a quick few coats of undercoat and finish with several coats of Halfords car paint and laquer. Unfortunately, time was precious so I had to get the frame sprayed in 24 hours. I left the frame for a few days while I stripped the grey Schwinn of all parts.

When I started to fit the parts to the Trek, I was amazed to find most fitted perfectly; even the forks and bearings. The only problem was the bottom bracket (I bought a new one) and the seat post (29.2mm). I could source the post at Amazon. My local bike shops drew a blank so I went to Amazon. Sad really.

I decided to replace the seat, all the inner gear and brake cables and the chain. Other than that everything else transferred over from the Schwinn. ... 9167/show/

The bike has been finished for two weeks and my son hasn't been on it yet. Cheeky begger..