1999 Kona Fire Mountain - WIP

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I recently bought a Fire Mountain frame to use as a base for a build for my sister. However, when she saw the frame she decided it was a bit tatty and she wanted something in better condition. So I was stuck with the frame. My intention was to sell it, but after being let down by a potential buyer I've decided to restore it and build it up.

The frame

03072010286.jpg

03072010285.jpg

I've also got the original RST forks to go with it, but unsure as to whether I'll use them or not. I had a Cinder Cone back in 98 with P2's on, so quite tempted to go down that route with this bike.

03072010287.jpg

Plan is to go a build something correct-ish for the period so I've got something that sits between my Stumpy and my Mantra.

Frame will be powdercoated and a set of decals from Gil applied. Current thoughts on colour range from: Red, White, Orange, Lime Green. So who knows!

Build will be mid-range with v-brakes and some Kona parts.

Tatty is good :D

I have a 95 Fire Mountain in Candy apple and it's pretty tatty...still one of my fave bikes.

Look forward to seeing the finished build

I'd agree with you, tatty can be good. However, I know I'll get carried away and have the frame looking like new again! Bit too pendantic about things like that!

I know there could be better frames to do this with etc, but it's something to keep me occupied with.

Just paid for a set of Rock Shox Indy SL forks and a Specialized Stout front wheel.

Thought the Indy's would 'go' as they were available in the 1998 range and seem to suit the narrow steel frames. Plus they should be light. Will run a full length spring in the Indy's as it seems a cheaper option than buying new elastomers (unless I can run some elastomers from the RST's).

Specialized wheel was cheap and couldn't be left. Rim brake rim and a disc hub, so there is always an option to run a front disc at some stage if I change forks etc.

Will sort a headset next and then I can start putting it together. Think I'll leave the frame painting for a bit and just build it up. Can always strip and paint at a later date.

33wheelsspecialized1.jpg

03forksindysl1.jpg

Anything is better than those RSTs so good choice.

Repaint in winter if you like it, build it first I say.

looks like i got myself a nice thread to keep updated along with that not so tatty kona frame :mrgreen:

stay tuned, more later ;)

That's right, Arnaud has bought the frame now. Bit of a premature end to my project, but I'm sure it's new owner will have lots of fun with it :)

Back