2001 Kona Lava Dome - the build commences

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
As a good few of you know I had a load of problems getting this painted, alas it's now all sorted (Phew!) and I've started to put the bits and pieces together ....slowly. Still need to pop through to the LBS to get the BB and rear mech hanger threads re-tapped, probably get across after work tomorrow evening all being well.

Apologies for the 'grease spots' in some of the photos, oh and the half drunk cup of coffee!!

Here's the frame when I got it from LeGrandeFromage way back when:

KonaLavaDomePre-anything.jpg

Then when it came back from the (second) paint job:

Konaframeandforklowersprebuild.jpg

Rear Brooklyn Machine Works 'Snot Rocket' brake and booster:

rearsnotrocketwithflash.jpg

rearSnotrocketsideshot.jpg

Polished up Kona Seat clamp with Ringle skewer, I'm waiting for a shim to fit into one of Elite's Ringle 'Holey' reproduction clamps and this will be changed over eventually:

clampdetail.jpg

Ringle 'Moby' and Flite:

seatpostshot.jpg

Forks before they go to Tim Flooks for a full service:

ForkspreFlooks.jpg

And the side shot so far (it's Ringle 'Slamma Jamma' headset btw):

sideshotwithflash.jpg

More to follow shortly.....

Pleased you finally got it looking how it should have...it looks grand!
love the bmw parts :cool:

shall look forward to seeing some glowing detailed shots out in the sunshine once it reappears

Dropped the frame off at Bromley Bikes to get the BB and rear mech hanger threads re-tapped as couldn't do it myself. Some good staff over there, and a stunning 2010 Yeti Dirt Jumper frame in the window but that's a different thread entirely!

Sorted the wheels out, Ringle hubs laced to Mavic 521 Ceramic rims, not going down the 'lightweight' XC route, I'm using parts to suit the purpose.

Front hub has a bit of a story attached to it, was one of a pair that I got from Betsy at Yeti USA before they changed hands BITD. They were laced to HED rims and used to be on Carolyn Curl's bike, that's one of my little 'claims to mountain bike fame' there. I've kept the bladed spokes on the front wheel too. Sadly my mother binned the HED rims after I moved out of the parents place thinking I'd thrown them out, AARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Ringlefront.jpg

Ringlerear.jpg

Nice - going to be one of the prettiest riders out here.

Nice wheels - dont need another to tell you how good the frame is :LOL:

Picked the frame back up this morning, Bromley Bike Co have fantastic staff, really cool to deal with :)

Bottom bracket, cranks, pedals and mechs now fitted plus a Ringle Anti-Chainsuck thing n'all.

Have a problem that the non-driveside RSR crank isn't fitting to the BB axle properly so gonna have to do a 'wanted' advert in a moment (damn it!!). :(

So far:

Cook Bros RSR cranks with Middleburn rings and extractor bolts, TA Specialities bottom bracket, Brooklyn Machine Works 'Vegi-Burger' pedals (their Shin Burger's slimmed down sister pedal!) and an XTR M900 front mech:

Chainset2.jpg

And the M900 rear mech, with new KCNC jockey wheels:

XTRM900RearMech.jpg

Can't do owt else until the forks get back from Flooksie next week.

I dig it. I am wondering though, why the burly as hell Brooklyn bits on a bike with Ringle and a Judy SL? I saw the 'purpose built' comment earlier in the thread, but what's the purpose?

I'm not bitching, just wondering. :D But if you put a Kooka stem on there I'm going to make jokes! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back