Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:20 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:15 am 
Old School Grand Master

signalMTB wrote:
carlos-g wrote:

Just so I'm clear, if I add this adapter...I will need a rotor that is 140/145mm in size? So a 160mm or 180mm will NOT work? I currently don't have discs on it, so I will be purchasing a new set for it. Just want to be sure I get the right size/setup.

because the caliper sits in between the seat stay and chain stay, you are quite limited for caliper choice due to lack of space.

Shimano XT 4 pot will not fit, unfortunate since that is my standard but I found a Magura Marta front caliper will :lol: . The rear caliper usually has one longer mounting leg hence the front one going on the back, but then the front one can be fitted on front albeit with a 180 mm disc.

See here how Ifmade my own adapter for running 160 mm rear disc and Marta front caliper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:20 am 
Old School Grand Master

BG wrote:
This B&S rear parallel adaptor may be what you're after: http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Adapters.html

Surely that is gonn flex like f***k? not to mention being quite heavey as at that thcickness, it has to be steel.

presumably the mkII version with holes added for lightness .. :P

not mean to diss the guy as it solves the problem but not the most elegant IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:22 am 
Old School Grand Master

^^^^ and who is going to tell him that the quick release ALWAYS points BACKWARDS? (as there is no chance it can be undone when brushing against into a tree or similar) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:03 am 
Dirt Disciple

I tried one of those adaptors with a set of Avid Juicy 3's and it flexed and bent after one ride - so for me personally I wouldn't endorse them - much better with a proper fitting calliper designed to fit your 22mm chainstay mount IMHO.

That's just my experience tho - others may have tried them and had more success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:25 am 

Hello there, my first post on this forum...have been lurking for while now ;) After finding this thread I felt compelled to post.

It appears I have exactly the frame as the OP (or had) It klien attitude comp from I believe '99 with (no internal cable routing). I got a crack through one of the dropouts, re-welded it & took it to a powder coater for a re-paint. I also decided it was time to upgrade most of the components including a rear disk as i had some unused Juicy 7's available.

I chose the adapted listed on torontocycles & had bad experience with it. The problem I have is that when the caliper is decently aligned, everthing is attached & working there just not enough clearance between the adapter & rotor. It's ridable but the clearance gets worse as you use the brake. This is because the adapter bends/flexs & eventually the clearance is zilch & the rotor is stuck on the adapter. I've had the straighten it out a few times now i haven't got a decent vise to do it so have been using a hammer & anvil .

I'm not here to slamm this adapter its just i'm still strugling with it so if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it. I'd also like to know if the OP decided on anything.

I would post some pictures below of mine but it says I need 2 posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:26 am 

sorry dbl post.. but maybe I can post the pictures now ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:26 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Looks like a lot of leverage put onto one small area (bolts)