Trek Fuel 100 - 2001

Nick C

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Well I've started a thread on my 1996 Kona frame, I suppose it's time to start one on my 2001 Kona Fuel 100. This is actually my normal weekend ride, I find it hard to believe that the bikes 9 years old. More or less everything is as original, except the following.

Avid V Brakes replaced with XTR front, XT rear.
Bonty seatpost replaced with Thompson layback.
Bonty bar replaced with Easton Monkey riser.
Original pedals replaced a few times, currently DMR V8 flatties.
Original saddle also replaced a few times, currently a Selle Italia Yutaak.

It's great to ride and except for the odd squeak that appears every now and again, it's been a great bike. There have been reports in the past of the wheels getting out of true, but I'm not a extreme rider and in fact ride her more like a hard tail. I haven't needed to true the wheels yet (touch wood). I am thinking of replacing the front fork for a modern item, but without wanting to buy a full set of discs and wheels, my options are limited. Any ideas?

Edit: I should add that I bought this from Keswick Mountain Bikes during the Foot & Mouth outbreak in 2001. In a bid to stay in business and keep their staff, they were offering amazing prices on their bikes. The Fuel was advertised at £2600 but 'KMB' were offering this one at £1600. Having tried out a few other bikes, this was an offer that was just too good to pass up. KMB kept all it's staff and is still thriving. ;)

Sorry about the dull pictures, I took them this evening just as the sun was vanishing behind the house!

nick_trekfuel100_001.jpg

nick_trekfuel100_002.jpg

nick_trekfuel100_003.jpg

nick_trekfuel100_004.jpg

2001 Trek Fuel 100 reviews: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/bike-full ... 95crx.aspx

Thanks for your comments. What I love most about this bike is the weight, it means a slightly rotund fellow like myself has an advantage on the hills!

Yes it does indeed. I picked up a bracket for them too a few weeks back and toyed around with the idea of setting the bike up with discs, but it was working out too expensive at the time so I dropped the idea.

Fair enough was just curious. Not a trek fan per se but the full sussers are lovely.

Disc would cost a bit I suppose, new wheels etc. But least it's there when those wheels call it a day as an obvious upgrade.

I did buy a very well priced set of wheels and hope brakes a month back...and a load of spares for stripping them down and rebuilding. But I just didn't have the inclination to do this and sold the lot on.

The bike is fantastic to ride, it's so light for a full suss and I've never seen another one around. The only downside to be honest is the front fork, it's just not up to the job of my weight + hard braking and flexes quite a lot! I was looking for a modern replacement, but unless you want a Tora, everything seems to be disc mount only, especially in this country.

My bro has just got some Reba's I think. They are awesome, not tempted with something like that and a disc up front only?

Not really, I'd still need a decent disc wheel and brake setup.

I was thinking of trading the bike in for something a little more plush, but I just love this bike so much.

Well I'm sad to say that this bike is now dead due to a fractured frame, and while it will lead to much dismay in the RetroBike fraternity, I have to say I'm quite excited to report that Trek have offered me a 2011 EX 9 frame and Fox shock as a replacement under warranty.

So RIP Trek and long live the Trek.

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product_14934.htm

Latest posts

Back