The boy'O'boy budget build.
Back in November last year my brother mentioned he'd like a bike to take his kids out with and was asking for my advice on some BSO he'd seen in Tescos/Asda and was it good value? - naturally I told him not to waste his money and I could build him up a bike that would be far better than any 'gaspipe' special he could get for £150. - made more difficult by his words 'In that case I want an Orange like yours then!'
The challenge was on.
1. Orange Gringo frame sourced from ebay for a barginous £30. Aluminium frame, wishbone stay, bright yellow finish- not pristine but good condition.
2. Offered a complete 2002 Specialized Rockhopper AL for £30
in terrible condition as a donor bike. Complete with Rockshox Judy's and a pair of Panaracer Fire XC pro's. Tyres robbed straight away for my Scott scale. Scott donates it's original tyres.
3. Strip donor bike. Spend 1 weekend cleaning parts in kitchen sink! Realise donor frame is actually in pretty good condition and give it a good clean and T-Cut.
4. Sell Specialized frame for £30.
5. Build Gringo up. Outlay £70 on chain/cassette/seatpost/cables and attempt to set up. Something not right so give to LBS for investigation.
6. Derailleurs from years of neglect on donor bike are absolutely knackered. Outlay another £70 on new front & rear mechs and V- brake blocks
7. Completed bike.
Total outlay £170 -
properly set-up, far better than any supermarket self assembly 'special'
One happy brother
Orange Aluminium "O" Jun'91 Stealth black
1990 Pace RC100 S
1992 Marin 'Browning Suspension' Pine mountain.
*WANTED* mint MBUK's - Jan'91 Nov/Dec '92
MBi - Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr '91 & May - Dec '92
Any MBUK's from 1988/89