newbie with an sts. renovation / restoration project

jacko sts

Retro Newbie
HI, been skulking around here for a little while researching the sts. Seen a few in action back in the day, always wanted one, decided to go full sus so had to get one!

missed out on 3 of them on ebay!! got an 18inch (altho seems bigger? but not a large...are they just 'big' frames?) sts2 the other day for £225 so happy with that!

will add some piccies up soon but the plan so far is;

rebuild / restore

seatstays are a little buckled, thats sorted now (im a teacher & have a workshop!), bushes are fine but want to remove, do rear end in black anodized, BETD bearings etc (how much! looks like awesome kit tho)

air shock....any suggestions guys?

magura hs33 in black (can i route hydraulic lines through frame?)

spin wheels (already got an immac set)

iv got pace proclass (gold) forks but the frame really aint light so gonna get hold of some air forks, recommendations? pace airforce any good?

everything else will be carbon or silver i think

whats the rear travel? 100mm? what travel forks are people finding work best?

thanks for any help guys.

rear shock is in good condition by the looks of it altho some pitting to the shaft....if anyones got a use for it let me know....

anyone?

iv measured it all properly and...its a large :-( will still have a play with it but may be looking for a medium eventually

anyone been brave enough to drill out the cable holes & run hydraulic lines through the frame? theres no insert that the inner cable runs through (?) so im thinking it should work....???

are all the chainstay sections the same length even tho there are different size frames? ie can i buy another frame and steal the chainstays? mine are bent & proving a sod to straighten without building what will be approx £150s worth of jig to straighten them...!

you could use the search function at the top to find info on the shock, they come up quite often on here so info shouldnt be too hard to find. if you masure the eye to eye of the shock, that should also give you the travel. can you get some pics up?
there are a few gt experts here but i however have no knowledge of carbon frames. i do however have knowledge of materials and wouldnt suggest routing the carbles through the frame, not on an older carbon anyway :? could be wrong though (actually isnt the sts a thermoplastic frame? making it the less brittle out of the two types, meaning it probably has some give. (isnt he sts a thermoplastic frame wit carbon weave?))
:roll: :roll: :roll: :? :? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

magura hs33 in black (can i route hydraulic lines through frame?)

normal its not possible.
you have to drill out the frame but thats not so nice i think.
buy a nice v-brake like avid arch or pauls.

cheers guys.

sts is thermo plastic with carbon. you cant mould carbon around tight corners so you can see on the frame where the black plastic has taken up the space ie any sharper edges on the frame arent carbon, the carbon blends in on the flatter bits. believe its a nylon based plastic / 'heavy duty' prepreg carbon

would only be drilling the ali lugs where the cables already go...basically there a tiny bit too thin as they act as ferrules...want to open them up and pass the cables through....as long as there isnt anything in the way it shouldnt cause any strength issues....plus im a very light rider so not expecting to do any damage

will add some pics eventually its just im a bit crap at that techy stuff!!

Back