2003 Pace RC300

Fudd

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A few piccies of the RC300 I just picked up of t'bay. Bought as a package with RC31's, King headset, XTR front mech, Easton carbon bars and seatpost and FSA stem.

The seller described the frame as mint, only 50 road miles. I thought BS, it's seven years old, but what if he's not lying....?

My iphone pics don't really do the frame justice but you get the idea... :D

Just built pics taken last night -

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

And a few more taken earlier this evening on the 'shakedown' run -

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

And I took this pic just to try and show how shiny and unmarked the chainstay protector is.

IMG_0159.jpg

On close inspection the frame is as new. The only faults are the odd blemish in the anodising. No scrapes whatsoever. I know I should hammer it but how many RC300's are still unmarked and the nicest colour too... ;)

Ah so your the git! :LOL:

I had been talking to the owner on that one and was ready to do a deal once the auction ended. He wasnt prepared to part the bits out..which I didnt need, and I couldnt afford to buy the collection as a single lot.

Congratulations if you ever decide to sell... I am keen on the frame :)

Very very nice! I was thinking of having a stab at it as well! Have you parted with my old F8? PM saltyman on here as he may take it from you.
Think i'm going to end up with a brand spanker 104??? ;)

I'm impressed, that is sweet as. :cool: :cool:

Loving the carbon (especially the seat-tube :cool: )
Really random question time - what ineertubes are you running, to get them valve caps?? :?:

JeRkY":3v64447m said:
Ah so your the git! :LOL:

I had been talking to the owner on that one and was ready to do a deal once the auction ended. He wasnt prepared to part the bits out..which I didnt need, and I couldnt afford to buy the collection as a single lot.

Congratulations if you ever decide to sell... I am keen on the frame :)

Cheers Bud, I was trying to do a deal too but he wasn't interested. I was happy to have the headset and forks as well as the frame and he threw in a surprise XTR M960 f mech too :D

Neil G":3v64447m said:
That's a great buy....must be well chuffed with the condition of the frame :D

Hell yeah I was chuffed, normally '50 road miles only' means the sellers a chancer, but not this time... The thing is, I'm gonna be ultra gutted when it get its first scrape... Can't complain though...

Awkward Kid":3v64447m said:
Very very nice! I was thinking of having a stab at it as well! Have you parted with my old F8? PM saltyman on here as he may take it from you.
Think i'm going to end up with a brand spanker 104??? ;)

Cheers Mate, I've still got the F8. I just need to remove the headset and I was planning to put new stickers on it but having trouble getting some so far. I'm open to pre-advert/ebay offers though ;)

saltyman":3v64447m said:
looks like it has never been dirty before :shock:

I'm working on that, Its probably seen more dirt in the last two days than it has in its previous 7 Years :D

GT-Steve":3v64447m said:
I'm impressed, that is sweet as. :cool: :cool:

Loving the carbon (especially the seat-tube :cool: )
Really random question time - what ineertubes are you running, to get them valve caps?? :?:

Glad you like it, I've a bit of a carbon fetish too... Got the tubes from my LBS who is a Raleigh dealer :oops:

The current spec is -

Frame: 18" Pace RC300 2003

Fork: Pace RC31 420mm

Headset: King
Stem: Thomson
Handlebar: X-lite
Grips: Yeti lock-on

Brakes: Hope Mono M4

Shifters: XTR
Front Derailleur: XTR
Rear Derailleur: XT
Cassette: XT
Cranks: LX
Pedals: DMR V12

Hub Skewers: X-Lite camlock
Rims: Mavic X317
Hubs: Deore
Tyres: Kenda Nevegal 2.1 folding
Tubes: Raleigh

Saddle: Intake
Seatpost: Thomson

As the funds allow I'd like to change a few things. The rear hub is a bit sloppy so getting a new pair of hubs and black spokes may be first on the list. The crank and rear mech don't really suit the frame, era-wise or condition-wise but they work as good as anything as long as you don't look at them, so I'm in no hurry to replace those... The jury's still out on the forks though. I've been riding full sus since 1998 so going back to rigid has been a bit of a shock. I can bunnyhop my full sus bike 1' no probs but I'm having trouble bunnyhopping 3" with the rigid frame and forks and then there's the comfort issue as well. RC39's may be on the shopping list...

Loving the comments guys so keep em coming... and if there's anything you like or even don't like then please say....

Anyone know what the official colour of this frame is? I've got the original owners manual here and the only colour it lists is polished clear anodised aluminum. This is a bluish grey colour and darker than the pewter RC200's.

Fudd":xn16asps said:
Loving the comments guys so keep em coming... and if there's anything you like or even don't like then please say....

To be honest there is nothing about it I dont like, The only things I might change would be saddle (but thats a personal choice), Wheels (Something a little lighter), and cranks (its a Pace, it needs the Burn's!) But yeah what you have should be superbly functional, and looks great. Well done!

Hmmmm, Middleburns you say? <sucks teeth and rubs chin>

Something like this....

IMG_0169.jpg

I had to pinch these off the Ibis but got some carbon FSA ones to go on there. They might look better with a gold spider and bolts or I could keep the blue and change the brakes from gold to blue.... decisions decisions....

Back