Kona Humu Humu Nuku Nuku Apua'a Deluxe

Re: Re:

coomber":3f23gd94 said:
So I got some lovely new bars and bmx stem
Sweet. What bars you get? They look familiar... I just mocked mine up on my project before I strip it down for a refurb.
I'm used to 800mm bars with closed end lock-ons, but 860mm on a retro 26" wheel bike is bonkers!

coomber":3f23gd94 said:
So now I have bits for a single speed 26er and a dead ish frame.
Sad face.
Dude, that's bad times :( Have you totally given up on it then? Frame builder could fix maybe, but costly eh...
Couple more humu's popped up on eBay recently... :eek:

Find a headset such as Hope, that you can easily remove the bearings if/when they wear out. Then araldite the cups in place

Re:

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it

The bars, and stem, are mafia bikes guess from some cruiser bmx hybrid

Scant, thanks again,but the bearings aren't an issue. I could alridite the cup in before worrying about the bearings, but the headset was so loose from it before and when tested with a long cup pig headset I don't see how that will solve it

Re:

Just shim it! I had to do this on my last build. The upper cup was loose in the frame, could be popped in and out by hand. I ended up using a bit of the thin lid from a sardine tin as a shim as it's what I had to hand (was also a tad thicker than a coke can). Only took a few minutes to cut to size and then the cup pressed in nice and snug just as it should. Still going strong after several hundred miles of rough off road riding, and easily reversible unlike araldite/JB weld.

coomber":yo2i03vl said:
Hmm. Might give that a go.
You deffo should. You invested in making it that beautiful colour and then time and money getting all the parts for it. J
You got the cruiser look and feel you wanted. Do it!

albash82":g7v4xwzh said:
coomber":g7v4xwzh said:
So I got some lovely new bars and bmx stem
Sweet. What bars you get? They look familiar... I just mocked mine up on my project before I strip it down for a refurb.
I'm used to 800mm bars with closed end lock-ons, but 860mm on a retro 26" wheel bike is bonkers!

coomber":g7v4xwzh said:
So now I have bits for a single speed 26er and a dead ish frame.
Sad face.
Dude, that's bad times :( Have you totally given up on it then? Frame builder could fix maybe, but costly eh...
Couple more humu's popped up on eBay recently... :eek:

What's your project?

coomber":yadfjlg9 said:
What's your project?
Got quite a few in the queue but only just started work on a timberline from '93.
Stuck seatpost so got that to address first. Used it as a shopper a fair bit last year but really want to be able to raise the saddle. Lovely paint so don't want to harm it getting the post out. I'm 3 days into filling it full of penetrating oil in the (probably vain) hope it'll help it move. I'll give it a few weeks to soak and then put it in a big vice, see what happens.

Re:

I'd recommend plumbers freeze spray as well. Few posts on here, worth a tenner giving that a go as well for stuck seatposts

I could probably silver solder the steel cups from the pig headset into the frame.

Thought I was going to have to do this on a frame I built and reamed but it turned out the cheap headset I was using was undersize.

I wouldn’t charge you much but you’d lose all the paint on the headtube so as respray and shipping the frame to and from me might make it uneconomical.

Back