1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project (Caldera P11 Onwards)

Greetings, I hope everyones well.

Well it looks like this thread is going to be continuing on with the Caldera frame as I'm really enjoying it. It seems to be a bit stiffer when your cranking it up hills or accelerating yet if anything on the bum cheeks the rear end feels softer to me only thing is everytime i look at the Lava Dome sat there i feel guilty :( sadly I dont have space for 2 bikes to be built up. The Lava Dome will probably be built up again whilset im respraying the Caldera.

On to the build update

The XTR hubs are now serviced, I was very impressed with how well the hardened races were wearing stainless balls were all fine too so it was just a case of a clean and regrease plus a few extra o rings added for extra sealing.

q396NaGh.jpg

1yA4e4Qh.jpg

jUTSBOzh.jpg

NR7nD2th.jpg

C8zIWOSh.jpg

p2zMYcmh.jpg

ML2ILbvh.jpg

m1KAPyEh.jpg

x6zkKUYh.jpg

FiEgxlSh.jpg

NjIJ840h.jpg

fkCgugYh.jpg

The new wheels arnt on yet but tyres are swapped over. The old wheels have some mild specialized knobblys on now, good fun.

YQ2C4L6h.jpg

L0IlAs3h.jpg

pkieF1mh.jpg

Wbnogwuh.jpg

All the parts arrived to fit the wheels.

Got some Kool stop salmon pad inserts so i have much better braking and less harsh on the new rims. Also some titanium pad hardware as the old ones were abit rusty.

Old vs titanium ones on the scales
DSC_0504[1].JPG
DSC_0502[1].JPG

Kool Stop Salmons DSC_0505[1].JPG

All built, Works well i think and first ride was a blast she shifts and stops even better now.

DMvmxcQh.jpg

Lx8vr89h.jpg

i0skjarh.jpg

ZTMDPaQh.jpg

gUugYSnh.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Paul,
Very nice work on these's Kona bikes!
And the XTR brakes, wow, i love it so much!!! the do the job like hydrolic brakes, like Magura
Long time ago i have a Cannondale with the XTR brakes but it was steal...
Never refind it... sad times

Hi Kevin

Cheers really enjoying the proccess of upgrading gradually. The xtr's are great good power upgrade with the same pads and then again with the kools stop pads fitted. Sorry to hear about your cannondale being stolen.

Beauty. All caught up now. I wasnt getting notifications for awhile.

I am really enjoying my XTR brakes as well. And they look so pretty. I need some more XTR on mine but the XT stuff is good and dont feel like dropping a bunch more on it right now.

When is the frame going for painting ?

Thanks. Yeah theyre great brakes love them, agreed xt's are great too.

I will probably be doing the frame when the weather gets warmer. The decals are pretty mint on this so I've pretty much decided im going to do a two tone job with the black

Latest posts

Back