Yet ANOTHER Pace RC200 Rescue Story

I like option 2 but Acorn's website is shy about pricing - do you know how much they would charge in this case? Don't think I've ever seen an Apple Green Pace, for instance.

Probably around £100-120 for a colour plus any shipping, if my previous experience is anything to go by.
So cheaper than fancy wet spray paint (£180ish upwards for a good job), but a little more than acceptable powdercoat (£50-80).

I think it depends a lot on how much prep they need to do on the frame, as I remove all parts, any steel inserts, bottle bosses etc, stickers, and degrease.
I do also remove the old anodising, but that's just because I'm generally welding something on the frame first, I think ths actually prefer to do that stage themselves.

All the best,

Re:

Im going to have to call Acorn for a cost for prep and finish aren't I? Not much chance of me doing it myself as I have no kit and no idea!

My worry with ano will be getting a good even finish. Dan, you have mentioned before that the stripping will preferentially attack the bare metal rather than the ano and it can show up in the final finish. If Acorn can do a decent prep job too then it's worth looking at. Would look super blingy in green or purple I reckon.

If I go powder it will be colourful I think, I have a flat black powder on my Marin and it looks funky but I fancy something different. Maybe. They can do magic with powder these days.

It's probably not a huge problem, but I was not sure about it when I did the other frame with both seat and head tubes bare, so hard to avoid dipping both anodised and bare metal.
Since this one is just the head tube, I reckon they can dip it vertically up to its neck to attack the remaining anodising, then totally submerge to finish off the cleanup.

Did you see David Bond's purple Thackray frame thay they did for me recently?
It was a bit thirsty still, and needed a little feeding with finishing waxes to get it all even and shiny, but definitely worth the effort.

All the best,

danson67":tlw50b7f said:
It was a bit thirsty still, and needed a little feeding with finishing waxes to get it all even and shiny, but definitely worth the effort.

I don't know what that means but I think I can guess. Worth a chat with Acorn then, I'm thinking if they think it won't work well they wouldn't take the job!

Re:

After all the chemicals, etching, cleaning and degreasing, the anodised aluminium is often very dry and kind of matte, even though the colour is good.
You can feel this 'thirstiness' when you touch it with bare hands. It sucks the oils and moisture from your fingers, which stick a little to the material. This can leave marks and an uneven surface finish on brighter colours, so I often go over the part with a wet wax polish, which soaks in evenly and leaves a good shiny sealed surface.

All the best,

Back