Santa Cruz Heckler -98

Re:

Good to see other Santa Cruz appreciaters here! I actually started out my restoring hobby with a -98 Santa Cruz Super 8 about 15+ years ago, but back then I had quite limited knowledge and I was still looking for my own style.. :roll: I regret selling it after the resto as these days I would've brought it back to its original orange color and componentry.

p4pb821291.jpg

romanrinos":32sf6jkq said:
Were those Azonics bars the 2 or 2.5" versions?
I didn't check it before starting the polish, but I have the same bar on my Super V DH, and that has a lower rise, so I believe this might be the 2.5" rise version.
romanrinos":32sf6jkq said:
I studied in Otaniemi a few moons ago as an architecture student - greetings to Suomi!
So you know how dark, cold and depressing it is here which kind of leads us to fiddle around in the garage often :LOL: Just kidding, hope you enjoyed it here, it's not all that bad during Spring, Summer and early Autumn :)

That is so cool, my bro had one with a black ft and polished sa. Z1's of course... Really want one now, been thinking about it for years

yeah a 98 Heckler. One of the very best bikes I've ever owned and I've owned a lot. Had mine for 12 years and then much to my dismay a crack developed along weld that held the shock bracket to the top tube. Had to put my trusty steed down. Broke my heart.

Re:

What a great looking build, bravo!

Reminded me that I made changes to my SC and never posted pics on here, so I have now.

al.

ps of course I'm a tart.

hi there, ive just picked up one of these exact frames today, and was wondering if you had any info on shock mounting hardwear? its the original fox vanilla. also, whats the best way to strip the paint off and then polish it up? do you know the bearing size at all? cheers for any info. also would you know where i could get a full set of decals made up?

hi there, ive just picked up one of these exact frames today, and was wondering if you had any info on shock mounting hardwear? its the original fox vanilla. also, whats the best way to strip the paint off and then polish it up? do you know the bearing size at all? cheers for any info. also would you know where i could get a full set of decals made up?

The shock mounting hardware you can get from for example offsetbushings.com based on the measurements from the shock and frame. For stripping I've personally used nitromors or similar and then wetsanded it slowly to finer grades. You could also have it mediablasted, but as it is an aluminium frame, you'd have to take it to someone having e.g. sodablasting possibility. So no sandblasting for it. For mine I used Enduro Bearings 1614 2RS which you can find in some bigger online bike shops. And the decals were custom drawn to me by Filip at Stickers Studio in Poland, they have at least facebook and instagram accounts, so contact them!

cheers man, I've stripped it with nitromors, and given it a go over with fine wire wool and wd40 so far. front has gone away for bottle mount replacement, then it'll have a weld redun on the shock mount. 20210818_124426.jpg

Back