1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project (Caldera P11 Onwards)

Re: The 1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project

Paul R":3cnajuv9 said:
Thanks my they could end up being be my best new purchase this year i think haha

The colours great i just wish kona would have done paint codes in those days so i could respray it.

Likewise. My kilauea looks impossible to match

Had a good ride out today great weather and went the furthest I've gone on the Kona .......by half a mile ha
Got home a gave it a clean, relube and gloss up with bouncers done and dusted followed by sonax bsd.

IRpC0goh.jpg

z9Pud69h.jpg

0ytJViGh.jpg

uK9Wypdh.jpg

GmJ4fhPh.jpg

hfJCWPeh.jpg

Time for new tyres and tubes the Schwalbe 1.5in marathon racers have had it sadly, they've done really well.

The replacements are some Schwalbe 2.0in marathon supreme's a bit bigger this time for a more plush ride on the rough roads round here. Their a bit heavier than the racers as to be expected but they are the lightest 2in tire they do and after the first voyage on them today the added larger volume smoothing has counteracted the extra weight id say. They roll really well and super sticky I like them a lot, The internet ''strava'' says they're faster too hahaaa.

Got some Maxxis flyweight tubes to make me feel better about the extra weight lol

The new rubber

6Mj4lghh.jpg

UI7dj2wh.jpg

New tube weight difference

3RWCMB2h.jpg

k09vCwkh.jpg

On the bike looks better to I think

alRuVI9h.jpg

pmzquQhh.jpg

Latest upgrade an Easton EC70 carbon seatpost to match the other bits. Gave it a test ride to Alton all good so ill be refurbing it at some point.

New tyres are going great.

HQ3dAKUh.jpg

Nearly a another 100g saved

HkFYzDgh.jpg

3tOIMZIh.jpg

A few scenic pictures of the ride

KGc1nq1h.jpg

Gs2dYMdh.jpg

0cCyIGDh.jpg

Hi all, Hope your all doing well.

Seatpost is all done came up really well I did some cartoon style graphics on the damaged decal. I did message Gil at retro decals about some new ones but they would have had to be redrawn which would have costed more than I payed for the post, so thought id add my own personal touch instead.

The lacquer was scrapped off, wet sanded the 1200 grit paper and recoated with satin clear lacquer.

Before

3tOIMZIh.jpg

HQ3dAKUh.jpg

Lacquer off and wet sanded decals touched in.

q9U7DCph.jpg

ptZxeikh.jpg

After lacquer and fitted

Uu0NqQRh.jpg

EQGkKamh.jpg

Kv0JYi4h.jpg

HtyaVM0h.jpg

7DzQwpzh.jpg

0oTPRaQh.jpg

Hi all hope all's well

Steely Dome is going well Im having a great time living the dream. The most recent investment is a Fizik gobi sadle i got cheap and tidyied up with some leather cleaner and cream it came up great. Sadly like many other purches it doesnt suit my bottom so far grrr. Ill keep tweaking and see what happens.

ZjKrO6Ol.jpg

v29AHh7l.jpg

5wWWsX3l.jpg

rA45BFfl.jpg

Cheers I need to find a matching hope seat clamp at some point too

Back