1999 Shogun Karve

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
This isn't going to win an award for icon of the late nineties, but I had one bitd and have searched for one ever since, and this came up for sale via gumtree a few weeks back so I jumped at the chance of owning one again.

The reason I bought this bitd was because all of my mates were hanging out in quarries doing jumps etc while I didn't have anything to join them on (an XCer), so when I saw an advert back in 1999 for this model on offer at Warminster Cycle Centre (coincidently Warminster was I where I picked this one up from) and seeing the spec, I jumped at the chance (using a credit card as well to buy it :roll: ).

It cost me £799.95 bitd, and the kit fitted to it comprises of XT front mech, LX rear mech, and shifters, STX RC brake levers and rear hub. Marzocchi Z5 bombers as well. I think I fitted a chain device, and replaced the handlebar and stem, and changed the rear brake to DX one almost immediately back then. And also fitted one of those moto style front guards. A couple of years later I changed the front wheel and fitted a front v brake, and bolted on some Junior T forks. In 2004 I binned the frame, and transferred all of the componentry across to a 2003 Saracen Zen Frame (which I later sold as it turned out that this style of riding was never going to be my thing).

Honestly this is too small for me but it is virtually still all original spec apart from some of the cables being replaced by the previous owner. This did have x lite bar ends fitted, and the grips were cut down in order for them to fit, but I've been able to source identical grips to the original ones via Amazon USA.

If a larger frame ever comes along I'll jump at that so I can actually fully enjoy the ride.

Attachments

• 1999 Shogun Karve.jpg
    1999 Shogun Karve.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 338
You picked it up from just down the road from me then, good score.
Doesn’t need to be high end to make you happy (truth be told, if I found a great condition bright green Falcon Beartrap I’d be happy, it being my first bike ;) ).

If you fancy some nice LX V’s, levers and shifters from that groupset let me know.

Re:

Continuing on from my ramble. Later in 1999 or 2000, I wandered in to Action Bikes in Crawley (as I lived there then) and saw a very similar bike to the Shogun I'd bought previously. And until about a couple of weeks ago I had forgotten what that brand was I'd seen, but I've recently bought some MBUK mags from around 1999, and one of the adverts luckily showed me what that brand and model was.

Attachments

• 1999 Mercury Team Issue 3000.jpg
    1999 Mercury Team Issue 3000.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 744
Re:

And below is the official advert from importer of the Shogun Karve (although I've yet to find the Warminster bike shop advert advertising this bike). You'll noticed that there is a £100.00 difference in the two prices, even though they both have exactly the same specification.

Attachments

• Shogun Karve 1999 Advert rsz.jpg
    Shogun Karve 1999 Advert rsz.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 694
nice love old mags. you don't have the one with the 1998 kona lava dome review in by any chance?

Paul R":3hlg3e15 said:
nice love old mags. you don't have the one with the 1998 kona lava dome review in by any chance?

I've looked, but I haven't got that issue.

Haven't seen this before but saw it through your website - Now with Junior T's? It looks the part with the bigger forks and the 4-bar suspension should be on the capable side. They look very similar to something Saracen or Claud Butler were also selling around the same time.

Latest posts

Back