1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project (Caldera P11 Onwards)

Re: The 1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project

Merry Christmas all hope your enjoying yourselves. I got a lovely kona T shirt

nkQ0J1oh.jpg

MLBxWzFh.jpg

Also my New Kinesis Maxlight 400 forks are on that have been at under my bed for donks. Very pleased with them so far not to battering after having suspension on it. I think I will respray them when the weather gets warmer, I have a multi colour scheme in mind. Quite a weight saving too 2.65 Lbs. Over all since Ive had the bike its lost 8.04Lbs more than me this Christmas haha.

Weighing time

TkkWL7Nh.jpg

Fht7RxLh.jpg

Fitted and ride

3RnD3NFh.jpg

8wepaMTh.jpg

sfMRJZqh.jpg

QOjuCgLh.jpg

PoFQn1hh.jpg

Little update.
I thought id try the saddle the bike came with for a while as my deriere is a bit fussy with saddles and annoyingly this one ended up being a bit more bearable. But it was a bit untidy so i thought id dig my old charge spoon out of the draw to try. So far it seems a bit more comfortable compared to how it felt on the last bike. It must be the konas different geometry.

some more gramms saved in the process.

Qb0pWsph.jpg

W0SWigQh.jpg

Much tidier

f40NsVXh.jpg

tqLfPVzh.jpg

The Lava Dome looks fantastic - you've done an excellent job. . I'm glad I've found your thread. I'm stripping down my late son's Lava Dome to restore it. It's been in storage since he died - I couldn't bring myself to touch it, but now I'm ready to do it and get it looking good.

Hi Chris

Thanks she's getting there.

I'm very sorry to hear about your son. Good on you for building up the courage to restore his bike, Must be hard. Im sure he would be very happy your doing it.

Which year is it? Keep us posted on how its progressing.

Hi all

Finally got around to weighing the bike on various scales its down to 22.04LB from its orriginal weight when i got it of 30.10LB very pleased. Whilest i had it indoors on the scales I took a pic of it under the lights something nice about a bike indoors under lights.

zFZ7jm4h.jpg

Latest upgrade arrived XTR M951 brakes.
GVA2xUJh.jpg

tlhPKN4h.jpg

They were very stiff and gritty so after looking at some service guides i set about sorting the problem. After a load of degreasing, blasting out with hose, airline and spray grease etc. Theyre great now like brand new, Really good they can be serviced and Wasnt too hard to do. Quite theraputic i could happily start a service doing these for other people lol

Some pics i took allong the way.

PbKsK0Fh.jpg

bIg5Dmmh.jpg

etRLKF5h.jpg

kq2dVN9h.jpg

Zu88QKyh.jpg

6F1wVeph.jpg

h2EQAVsh.jpg

MXGKye2h.jpg

wiEgQj5h.jpg

nLP5hrch.jpg

lVDAhWah.jpg

Adjusted up on the rig fork

WvwlsRXh.jpg

uhHIRvqh.jpg

C29TC5kh.jpg

On to the next bit that needs sorting i plan to use the currant wheels for a while before i break my sun rims out and the freehub was starting to get a little sticky so it was on to servicing the hubs.

Started with the rear so i could ride it this weekend.

Loads of grit and gunk in the free hub inperticular as there is very little sealing. But ive broke out the o ring kit and sorted that now.

I didnt have the pronged special tool to undo the end freehub so i just flushed it through with wd40 whilst spinning it untill it ran clear, blew out with the airline, ran a little thick transmission oil through with whilst spinning it untill it came out the other end. Finished up by forcing/working grease in the bearing races and adding some o rings for sealing. Pleased to report after a ride today is working great and silky smooth. front will be done in the week.

Pics allong the way

Yuck
DVcbKCLh.jpg

Itqp9Jmh.jpg

clean

RBTMD8Jh.jpg

ZKuowQFh.jpg

playing with o rings should be much better sealed now.

oQteEaTh.jpg

gvUBWSUh.jpg

aZZpoFwh.jpg

JQ6QiBUh.jpg

aGalIqWh.jpg

Back