20?? Saracen exile dirt jumper build thread

For me the Saracen brand has a lot of nostalgia and would want to keep that branding and also I know absolutely nothing about Yeti except it's a top mountain bike brand. I guess its something like people who buy cheap forks and peel off the original stickers and then put Rockshox stickers on instead to give their bike a branding upgrade but personally I like the Saracen branding.

It's going back to Saracen. The yeti decals were something I had in the tool box for years and I stuck them on for a larp. Team Saracen are multi world dh champs - quite some pedigree I agree.

Got some contemporary Saracen decals for it.

Took it out for a shakedown blast over the weekend a few . The left fork leg is still losing air but I think I've found the leak and it should be an easy fix. They turned into 50mm travel forks with 60mm of very squishy sag. Didn't really spoil the ride though.

The front hydraulic brake is coming back to the bar untill you pump it up for some reason. These are brand new and shouldn't need bleeding.

Stand out was how good the £7 Trailpac tyres were. It was super slippy and muddy but they were rock solid performers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191214_193014.jpg
    Screenshot_20191214_193014.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 918
Took the xcile out for its first bit of serious gravity today. Couldn't stop the original dnm air forks leaking so swapped them out for some squelchy 120mm marzocchi exr comps. Rides well, super stiff frame. Stacked it hard within 10mins. Few pressure tweaks at the front and it stuck like glue all day. Rear brake is not working well though, must be contaminated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200308_162047.jpg
    Screenshot_20200308_162047.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 522
Re:

You riding that "normal xc". Is it a bit stiff?

Love the colour. Fork swap makes sense too

Super stiff frame definitely describes it well. They seem to have designed in no flexing at all even the rear disc brake gets extra reinforcing between the two stays. As I said previously Saracen really gave their customers fantastically engineered frames for a very low price. It looks like they were designed for zero warranty returns. Definitely a bit of an extra workout though as not light frames.

Re:

For 4x and dual slalom it's all about quick runs for 3 minutes or so. Every second counts so a stiff responsive frame makes the difference. Comfort over 20 miles isn't a priority!

Glad you are enjoying it

Latest posts

Back