1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project (Caldera P11 Onwards)

Paul R

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all

My love for Kona's started with my 1998 Hahanna which I sadly outgrew as I got to my later teens so I had to sell it on. Now after having a couple of modern treks I’ve sold them on to relive the memory.

I decided I’d like another 1998 model as I love the jungle graphics and wanted to try the midrange double butted frame and really like the green the lava dome comes in so with that decision made the search began.
A slightly scruffier one came up so I snapped it up and here it is. Some standard parts still on it and a debatable bar and stem set up.

Plans are

Strip down and clean then sort out rust scabs etc on the frame

Clean and lube standard drive and brakes for now but upgrade to full XTR m952 maybe raceface turbine/forged chainset? later on just need to sort cables to get it going..... Done

Loose the planet x stem and jumpy bars replace with Easton carbon bar and stem in old 25.4 size….. Done

Change forks to Kona project 2's or simualar rigid fork.....DONE

Easton carbon seatpost with Hope seat clamp ....Half DONE

Fit my gold Hope headset I have tucked away......Done

Gold frame bolts….DONE

Lighter Retro Wheelset

So here’s pics of the story so far.

Delvery day its like christmas has come early so exited

x407x8Fh.jpg

unpacked woo hoo

QLHSGJAh.jpg

oFq5QDsh.jpg

8gKrmGih.jpg

wmYG45Wh.jpg

Cq9I7hBh.jpg

CXuYgDBh.jpg

Built it up for a test ride, had to be done the rear wheel was a bit buckled so it had some bad tyre rub and gears very sticky so it was a round the block job but still i really enjoyed it.

UNUGxHeh.jpg

mcmbdLlh.jpg

Next it was on to check if the bb was seazed in the frame turned out to be in there hand tight as was the cassette lol. The old bb had seen better days but luckly in amoungst my stash a good spare.

3tl8sTgh.jpg

My00z4dh.jpg

How the bike was after its first evening with me

5NS89PYh.jpg

next evening even less

oCtIbmJh.jpg

On to cleaning up the parts. They came up really well and silky smooth too after a degrease, blast out with hose, blow out with airline and relube. also swapped the pads of the rears as they were shot due to the buckled wheel.

zC2lJIfh.jpg

K8wGLnxh.jpg

ANQmFfdh.jpg

SReXO6sh.jpg

xGyYD7Ih.jpg

EgV4erHh.jpg

On to sorting the frames rust scabs and scrapes dremmel time. The new paint will never be an exact match as the paintshop UV scanned it and it appears to be a 3 stage candy paint job so cant be replicated with a single coat. So just got as close as possible with a tweaked Skoda ralle green.
I know some wont approve of this but i wanted it protected and it will be polished back and blended in.

Prep

uhgjBjVh.jpg

hExsJQsh.jpg

dI0gZKSh.jpg

Thats all for now hope you like it.

Re:

For some reason i really like this era of Kona mtbs, and especially the Lava Dome in green, and I'm not generally a fan of green! I've a 1997 Lava Dome that's getting a bit of a restomod treatment at the moment too, so I'll keep checking in to see how you're getting on.
Looking good so far though :)

Re: The 1998 Kona Lava Dome Resto Mod Project

Yes i know what you mean im the same with green but the lava dome green is something special

do you have a thread for yours my mate used to have some of those in tiny 16'' haha

Well i think the painting, laquering and polishing is all done really pleased with how it came out the finish is like glass now. I have it indoors in the heat to help the laquer all harden off now then i will get a few coats of finishkare 1000p paint sealent on it.

Pics of down tube before as an idea

6OpR9hl.jpg

and now

U9xZUh6h.jpg

edq3eFCh.jpg

The rest all polished

T9r32r1h.jpg

w6G1pInh.jpg

n4GEUzIh.jpg

oP6ED5Rh.jpg

WCeSQXlh.jpg

7LMV7rnh.jpg

hFEyn5rh.jpg

With the paintwork all done and paintseal protected. I stuck on some paint clear paint wear protection to prevent the inevitable and put my old xtr m952 rear mech on.

1oA0zOsh.jpg

dw6QqMth.jpg

Mgze20gh.jpg

Then it was time to take it out of the garage to admire and start putting new toys on very pleased.

cYgHXNGh.jpg

Rxv2CLWh.jpg

Ill be running the rockshox for a little while so gave them a good clean up
n4hAM8Dh.jpg

FVZv86Uh.jpg

Hope headset cups fitted

Q4Z1iFYh.jpg

On with the other new toys slowly getting the bike loyterd with lighter parts.

sx0y5Oeh.jpg

V0mUptyh.jpg

3zshyonh.jpg

krjycuJh.jpg

I don't seem to be having much luck with most of the purchases for this build. One place the item was lost, another didn't actually have the product I ordered yet they were selling it online. then one guy forgot to post the parts altogether.
The Shimano un55 had bad tolerance machining on that, contacted shimano nothing back so I had to modify it myself as I got impatient.

Finally though things are arriving and progress is being made.

Gear cables on
Front mech on
Chainset and BB on
Chain on
Pretty gold frame bolts on
Fitted my old schwalbe marathon racer tyres on the standard wheels as I only ride road these days.

9CBdRd3h.jpg

s9ab4Xvh.jpg

Well thats stage 1 done loving the look.

XTR Brake cables on and brakes set up
saddle (might put a different one on) and polished up seatpost fitted

cockpit set up, tweaks will be made on the first ride tomorrow no doubt, cant wait. looks like i'll be needing a stait easton seatpost when i get around to buying one.

ah9TJ8Th.jpg

JRNEkPph.jpg

7ABiRREh.jpg

oapIeGxh.jpg

EhSPYbMh.jpg

rAS6982h.jpg

oS5IBg0h.jpg

arq3VYJh.jpg

jQDIgYbh.jpg

YRaPorRh.jpg

uCi17XOh.jpg

Looking good, think I might just fit v-brakes on mine, although I don't like to see an unused disc mount, but the white forks look nice.

Latest posts

Back