2000 Marin Mount Vision Build

Re:

Will do, if all goes well after a few rides I hope to upgrade the shock and maybe the fork to air suspension, but that's all in the future.

The fork is the only thing I'd upgrade in an ideal world on mine. I'd like an air/oil Marzocchi, but it'd have to be a good match for the axle-to-crown length as I don't want to change the way the bike handles too much; and it would have to be cheap as I'm a skinflint and the current fork works fine!

Re:

Love the build, my Mount Vision was my first proper MTB back in 1998 and while many bikes have been added to my collection, could never see a day when I’d let this one go.

I spent a good while (and a fair bit of cash!) doing mine up including a later model swingarm to accommodate discs.

She rides beautifully and performed superbly on the Sandstone Way this summer, keeping up with my mates’ more modern enduro machines.

One thing I have never been happy with though is that, since the rebuild, in which I managed to ‘misplace’ (ahem) the shock mounting bolts and other hardware etc, I’ve always had a tiny amount of play in the shock mounting.

Can I ask if you’ve got the link for where you bought your sleeves/top hat bolts from - of course China is a pain to wait for but if it solves my bodged set up of bolts and washers it would be a godsend!

Attachments

• 68A23B5D-DE89-4D26-AF3C-088EA04413FA.jpeg
    68A23B5D-DE89-4D26-AF3C-088EA04413FA.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 891
  • C3391D11-317C-4A65-B6FE-176E19017429.jpeg
    C3391D11-317C-4A65-B6FE-176E19017429.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 891
  • ADF912B2-75B9-44AD-A8F1-C7D73224C4A5.jpeg
    ADF912B2-75B9-44AD-A8F1-C7D73224C4A5.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 891
Re:

Liking your build very much! I briefly toyed with an all black build for mine and was quite tempted.

I bought the sleeve nuts & threaded bar on my wife's amazon account, I'll ask her to dig out the order details and will let you know what I ended up with.

I have had to tighten the pivot bolts for the swing arm up a few times (even after adding threadlock... maybe I am being a bit too gentle with them as I haven't gone tight enough to bind them at all yet).

However the shock mounting hardware that I bodged together seems to be working absolutely perfectly, which is pleasing :)

Gutted that it's too dark (not to mention wet & miserable) to ride after work now!

Re:

I mentioned when I'd just finished this build that I was never quite happy with the cockpit. Either the bars were too wide (especially noticeable when on the bar ends) or I couldn't get the brakes and shifters far enough inboard if I moved the grips inwards.

Took the bike to the local trail centre the other week and also felt the riser bar was unnecessary - although I'm cool with running risers and bar ends, I want this bike to ride like a proper xc race bike and the riding position, while perfectly comfy & extremely capable, wasn't quite as stretched out as I'd prefer. To be fair it's a pretty tame trail centre (haldon forest near Exeter) but I felt rather overbiked!

So while it's been bucketing it down with rain I stuck on some 580mm flat bars to see how they'd feel. Only done a quick town ride so far so can't comment much yet but feels good so far and looking forward to hammering some of the local bridleways when they dry up a bit.

I believe these bikes were originally specced with 120mm stems rather than the 100mm I have at the moment. Not convinced I want to try that though - I remember losing rear wheel traction on steep climbs last time I tried this set-up, and there are some steep fast descents where I'd feel a bit nervous that far forward on the bars.

Also stuck some new brake pads on the rear caliper and gave the bike a bit of TLC before the new season starts.

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_151956_compress21.jpg
    IMG_20200315_151956_compress21.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20200315_152052_compress16.jpg
    IMG_20200315_152052_compress16.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20200315_152014_compress4.jpg
    IMG_20200315_152014_compress4.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 350
Re:

Haha, and although I'm totally stoked to finally own my teenage dream MTB, and it puts a great big smile on my face when I ride it, my riding buddies I've shown it to have been distinctly underwhelmed! Philistines!!

Re:

Cheers!

Have to say I did enjoy scalping plenty of people on more modern full sussers at the trail centre... But I don't think they realised they were being overtaken by a piece of MTB history (unless they just thought I was riding a crap old bike and were too polite to comment!).

If you stuck a short stem & wide bars on it I reckon it could just about pass for a modern xc bike. Might have to take those fork boots off though :cool:

Back