2000 Marin B-17

Grey like the forks, maybe. I thought about white as that would look pretty clean and match the white bits dotted about it, but I think it would be a bit dull too. Grey would be somehow cooler I think. Also thought about gloss or matt black so they would be barely visible, might try that.

While I think about it, heres an updated build - well, updated to last June at Mayhem anyway

Big change is the forks - gone are the RS Tora in favour of the orange bombers. Two reasons. one, the tora needed a service, and two, orange.

Grey grips out and in with the - orange

and white pedals out for black, sticking with the DMR V8

So the black and orange is still going strong.

Bit of a mayhem report too - made it round on this OK without death. Two laps in darkness through to dawn, lovely riding. Only failing was the saddle bolt started working a little loose so I ended the lap with a bit of a squeak. Other than that, everything did what it should.

Attachments

• DSC_0253.JPG
    DSC_0253.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 1,590
Re:

And further update on the forks front... I sort of, well, I sold the bombers so I'm currently looking for a replacement set. Something black I guess. Might shift from the orange splash of colour in a different direction. The cable outers are fading to yellow so no worries changing them, grips are easy enough and we have already talked about the decals.

So the search begins for some nice, black, disc, 100mm+ travel, 1+1/8th steerer forks.

Or maybe a new set of orange bombers ;-)

Decided this one needed a bit of a refresh, so decided to pop in some bigger wheels and de-orange it.
Thanks to the long rear end 27.5 and even 29 wheels sort of fit right in. I decided to go half way with 27.5 and knobbly tyres first, fine. Then got some 29s they fit too but not a huge amount of clearance but fine with less knobbles. So, 27.5 it is.... for now.

Orange forks, decals, cables etc all off, tried to go black black black and some charcoal decals. But I ended up with white forks picked up locally, Rock Shox Reba. So be it. But OTHER than that, black is king.

Decided that if I'm updating the wheels and forks I'd go all mod with it...
popped in the air shock I picked up a while back, Rock Shox Monarch RT.
Modern chainset and BB too, gone all Hollowtech with an SLX set that came my way recently.
Popped in some new bars too while I was at it, some nice syncros jobbies I've had in the box for years

Just waiting on some brake adapters, stupid PM forks don't like my IS caliper.

Attachments

• DSC_0748.jpg
    DSC_0748.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,102
  • DSC_0749.jpg
    DSC_0749.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,101
  • DSC_0750.jpg
    DSC_0750.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,101
Re:

Rims are Bontrager Duster, not certain on width but I'd say 'normal'.

tyres are varieties of WTB Raptor in 2.1 width, not very knobbly tread.

I got a pair in a fairly narrow size to increase the chances of having enough space, going to get something a bit bigger to try out next time I have somw spare cash.

Re:

Still fettling so no ridden in anger yet.

Obviously it's a bit taller so even though the saddle to pedal distance is unchanged I'll probably drop the saddle a bit. Guess the slightly higher centre of gravity may feel a bit weird when I get off road but that's the fun with experiments

And yes, straight headtube so straight steerer.

Back