boy"O"boy's 2000 Cannondale F400 + 2001 Cannondale F700

mkone":3dwuxw95 said:
That F400 is looking really nice, and not just because its my size :LOL:

Even the V brakes seem to work with the older DX, maybe some black bar ends, but thats just me being really picky for the sake of it :)

Mark

Thanks Mark.
I was a bit worried that it may be on the small side with that extension of seat post (400mm long / 27.0mm from Wiggle) but it feels great with the higher rise of the Headshok fork and longer stem. Very similar in sizing to a Scott Scale I Once had in medium. I did a 100 mile day ride on the F700 and enjoyed it without suffering!
The V-brakes are Cannondale ones and DX is a dependable groupset that cleans up well and doesn't cost $$ for tidy used stuff - I'm pleased with how it turned out... Although I might change the rear mech to a longer cage to reduce the chain slack in the lowest gears. Top end feels fine though.
The headset cups and bearings are the main thing that needs correction though. I stripped and had the original cups anodised, but I reckon this has altered the tolerances so the bearings move in the cups. Perhaps a part salvage too far again - I've just bought these (pic below)
More than I paid for the whole bike originally! :facepalm:
As for the bar ends - i'd like to find another pair of the tiogas like those on the F700, but for a 99p pair of X-lites from eBay, they're not too bad. ;)

TheBear1978":3dwuxw95 said:
Both brilliant, but I prefer the colour scheme of the F700...every chance I might be biased though ;)

My missus has just decided she wants to join me on rides :roll: so looks like I will have a third build on the go soon enough :facepalm: Need to collect a few bits for that but have quite a lot already lying around.

The colour scheme of the F700, along with the Viper red are both great colour schemes. Haven't Cannondale re-released these colours on their latest bikes recently? .... Add the Volvo sticker and for the unintiated, it's an F3000? ;)

.... Always good to 3rd build on the go! (Can't justify another yet though!) :LOL:

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,011
Sell you a pair of all black (refurbed) or black/silver barends, both X-Lite, but they wouldn't be 99p lol.

That frame your talking about is the limited-edition Throwback FS-I Hi-Mod re-release available in Team blue gloss or Viper Red, frame and fork only for £3,499 !

Love what you did with F400!Just sent you a PM with some questions about geometry!

TheBear1978":373cvuwh said:
Sell you a pair of all black (refurbed) or black/silver barends, both X-Lite, but they wouldn't be 99p lol.

That frame your talking about is the limited-edition Throwback FS-I Hi-Mod re-release available in Team blue gloss or Viper Red, frame and fork only for £3,499 !

Thanks for the offer. The Black Tioga Power studs are now on the F400 as I've changed to Ergon grips with bar ends on the F700 at the request of my wife!

Also changed out the Headshok headset for the brand new one, and play in the headset was instantly solved! - Salvaging this from the original £25 frameset simply wasn't worth it, even though I'd had the cups re anodised :facepalm:

Rear mech changed for a long cage DX. Functions far better in the lower gears now.

Is now set up in full 'Child seat' mode....will briefly take this off when we head over to the Isle of Man TT at the end off the month.

Found those pics of the limited-edition Throwback FS-I Hi-Mod re-release :shock: :shock:

cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• cannondale-cvr.jpg
    cannondale-cvr.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 909
  • LOW_RES.jpg
    LOW_RES.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 909
  • cdale-wCS.jpg
    cdale-wCS.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 909
Re:

Nice bikes - my F500 is in the team blue but with silver decals - US spec I think.

Did you say you had the forks powder coated?

I want to powder coat a Delta V with P-bone forks, but assumed that removing the elastometers etc (to go in the oven) would be too much hassle?

Re: Re:

Heavy":93ae3mg6 said:
Nice bikes - my F500 is in the team blue but with silver decals - US spec I think.

Did you say you had the forks powder coated?

I want to powder coat a Delta V with P-bone forks, but assumed that removing the elastometers etc (to go in the oven) would be too much hassle?

Thanks Heavy ! :D

Yep. I had the forks powder coated in black by a local firm. Decals from eBay were then applied to a Scotchbrited surface and then 3 coats of clear coat applied.
To be honest, I was unaware that the P-Bone M forks had a polyurethane elastomer core. :oops: ( Until I checked the owners manual just now!)
- I though they were just the cheapest version of the headshok that used just a spring rather than an air cartridge.

The heat of the powder coat hasn't seemed to affect the function - maybe they were never there in the 1st place? - no melted residue from the elastomers was present when i got them back from the powder coaters.
It would probably be smoother if the elastomers were replaced though. :?

I'll see how I get on with the F400 in the Isle of Man this week, and evaluate from there.
If it's just me and not the family riding, I'd probably take the F700 or Orange 5 instead as both of these are dialled in 'just right'

I've added the article I've found relating to the P-Bone M if it helps. I think there's also a P-Bone D that's adjustable.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• P-Bone M p.5.JPG
    P-Bone M p.5.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 792
  • P-Bone M p.4.JPG
    P-Bone M p.4.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 795
Re:

boy"O"boy":3lltgatd said:
Also changed out the Headshok headset for the brand new one, and play in the headset was instantly solved! - Salvaging this from the original £25 frameset simply wasn't worth it, even though I'd had the cups re anodised :facepalm:

Rear mech changed for a long cage DX. Functions far better in the lower gears now.

Is now set up in full 'Child seat' mode....will briefly take this off when we head over to the Isle of Man TT at the end off the month.

So. After a fair bit of riding - Isle of Man / summer holidays in France / Rutland water - I've come to the reluctant conclusion, although I should have known this at the start :facepalm: :facepalm: That the F400 is too small for me. :roll:
With the Child seat on, I'm catching my heels on the footrests of the seat. The F700 is slightly bigger and I can just about get away with the sizing, but trying to make the F400 work with a 15" frame size / 350mm of seat post extension / and a 140mm stem is just not going to work long term.

So. 2 options -
i) Look for a bigger Cannondale frame and move everything onto that.
ii) Move the parts onto something else and sell the Frame/Forks/Bars/Stems

Any interest in the Frame/Forks / Headset here before I place an ad/eBay?

Here's some pics showing it getting used!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• ME&A2.resize.jpg
    ME&A2.resize.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 500
  • ME&A1.resize.jpg
    ME&A1.resize.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 500
  • IOM CDALE192.jpg
    IOM CDALE192.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 500