boy"O"boy's 2000 Cannondale F400 + 2001 Cannondale F700

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Hi All.

Although I've got a healthy number of retro rides, I must admit I've always had a thing for Cannondales - the F1000 'Woody' was the dream bike at Uni and BITD, the SM1000 was a firm favourite.
Back in 2012, I bought my then girlfriend (now wife) the blue and yellow F700 in the pics below. ( It had to be those colours as they are the county Clare colours!)
We would ride off road routes around Long Melford in Suffolk - until the children came along ;) ….and it was relegated to storage. But in 2014, I needed a bike to take to the Isle of Man TT with a group of lads from work, and this seemed the ideal candidate - especially as it only needed a swap of seat post and pedals. I really liked how the bike rode, a started using it on after work rides and attaching the child seat to take my daughter out on the suffolk lanes at the weekend.
I continued to use the F700 a lot! - The back wheel slowly began to fail, the Magura Louise brakes lost their bite and the pistons were continually binding. The bottom bracket started to play as did the cassette. The Headshok continued to hold air and work well so I decided I should sort the niggles of the bike out properly.
The Coda wheels with the Magura discs were a 4 bolt type which meant suitable replacement
were not as easy to find. In the end I bit the bullet and built some 6 bolt hubbed wheels myself - Novatec on Mavic 321's and replaced the brakes with Shimano. New bottom bracket, cassette and full overhaul. I then broke the whole thing in by doing a 100 mile day ride in the Peak District - and the bike felt ace! It's also the turbo Trainer bike, so out of all my moderns and retro, this is the bike getting the most use!

Now all along, I was acutely aware that although I'd turned this into a well sorted bike, It was not actually mine. :oops:
Our 2nd born is now getting to the age where he needs to be in the child seat, and my daughter is confident enough to use a tag along bike….. but we can't use both together.
Another bike was needed so we could go out as a family.

Enter the 2000 F400.
This started out as an impulse eBay purchase. £25 plus postage and I had a project.
Most of the kit on the bike was Junk though, the more I delved deeper, the more I threw away. Many of the replaced parts on it were BSO junk. In the end, I was left with just the frame and fork….even though it was a basic Headshok, I thought I couldn't scrap it.
I've always liked the 1990 SM1000 colour scheme, so a plan was hatched and a build planned from accumulated parts.
So what is it?
- a Retromod?
- a newer frame with older components?
- Who knows! - it's going to be my Isle of Man TT bike this year and the Child seat carrier for this years family holiday.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• cdalef4001.jpg
    cdalef4001.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 2,308
  • Ccannondalef7002.jpg
    Ccannondalef7002.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2,308
  • Ccannondalef7001.jpg
    Ccannondalef7001.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,307
Re:

pic above… F400 before paint strip. Most other parts were binned.

Pics below… F400 ready for action!

Attachments

• cannondale4.jpg
    cannondale4.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2,309
  • cannondale3.jpg
    cannondale3.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,308
  • cannondale2.jpg
    cannondale2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,308
  • Cannondale1.jpg
    Cannondale1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,310
Re:

Closer detail.

Full Deore DX inc. Thumbies

Attachments

• cannondale8.jpg
    cannondale8.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 2,306
  • cannondale7.jpg
    cannondale7.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,306
  • cannondale6.jpg
    cannondale6.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,307
  • cannondale5.jpg
    cannondale5.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 2,306
Re:

more….

Attachments

• cannondale12.jpg
    cannondale12.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2,302
  • cannondale11.jpg
    cannondale11.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2,301
  • cannondale10.jpg
    cannondale10.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,302
  • cannondale9.jpg
    cannondale9.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,302
This is ace, some transformation, love it, who painted the frame if you don't mind me asking ? Am in the middle of sourcing the final few parts and will then be building-up 2 x F-series 'dales just now myself one of which I will be selling and one which I will be keeping :cool:

TheBear1978":1kbdatz8 said:
This is ace, some transformation, love it, who painted the frame if you don't mind me asking ? Am in the middle of sourcing the final few parts and will then be building-up 2 x F-series 'dales just now myself one of which I will be selling and one which I will be keeping :cool:

Thanks! Yeah, definitely a transformation! - The paint is more on the budget side than bespoke. A local powder coater did the frame in white and the forks in black. They normally do railings/industrial metal work so we're not talking Argos quality here. A friend at work painted the rear in black ( the powder coater only did single colours ) then a ripped divider set from Gil_M was applied and Cannondale and Headshok decal sets from ebay were added before the whole thing was given 3 clear coats. I went with the initial powder coat for durability as this one's been built for go rather than show.

The headshok F -Series for me are great looking and riding bikes - I'm also fortunate to own a '92 Marin Pine Mountain with a Browning suspension fork which is a sort of Pre - cursor to the Cannondale headshok/ front suspension specific bike, but it's the F700 that has become the Go-to bike for most riding. Hopefully The F400 will be getting a similar usage! - and my wife gets hers back (Although it's so sorted I'll still be using it! :LOL: )
How do you decide between your 2 which you'll be keeping?

Here's some better pics of the F700 to do it justice!

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Ccannondale6.jpg
    Ccannondale6.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,248
  • Ccannondale5.jpg
    Ccannondale5.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2,247
  • Ccannondale4.jpg
    Ccannondale4.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 2,248
  • Ccannondale3.jpg
    Ccannondale3.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,248
Re:

More F700 pics….

Handbuilt the wheels myself. Novatec Hubs /Mavic 321 Disc Rims / Black spokes from eBay

Attachments

• Ccannondale12.jpg
    Ccannondale12.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 2,248
  • Ccannondale10.jpg
    Ccannondale10.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 2,248
  • Ccannondale9.jpg
    Ccannondale9.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 2,248
  • Ccannondale7.jpg
    Ccannondale7.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 2,247
Re:

Both together….. (but happy to take either ;) )

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• 2dales6.jpg
    2dales6.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2,241
  • 2dales5.jpg
    2dales5.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2,241
  • 2dales3.jpg
    2dales3.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2,241
  • 2dales1.jpg
    2dales1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,241
That F400 is looking really nice, and not just because its my size :LOL:

Even the V brakes seem to work with the older DX, maybe some black bar ends, but thats just me being really picky for the sake of it :)

Mark

Both brilliant, but I prefer the colour scheme of the F700...every chance I might be biased though ;)

My missus has just decided she wants to join me on rides :roll: so looks like I will have a third build on the go soon enough :facepalm: Need to collect a few bits for that but have quite a lot already lying around.

I have an upgraded 1996 m500 which is nearing completion and will be up for sale shortly, both other F-series will be the same colour but slightly different spec (it has transpired that one of these frames is too small so that one will be built and sold although annoyingly its the slightly better frame CAAD5 as opposed to late CAAD4).

Latest posts

Back