Ibis Bowti restomod 1997

Re:

the sealant is here so work schedule permitting hopefully i will get this thing rolling in the next few weeks...

...meanwhile i've found out that John Castellano not only designed the Bow-ti frame, he also did some tire design for Geax. So picking up this set of unused green walls locally was a bit of a no brainer. I won't be ditching the modern Onza's for them but it's nice to have a little more vintage correct tires on hand

46613541104_a8d3c2a4ff_c.jpg

Re:

so yeah, done, sort of :cool:

47395170332_0348a01ec1_c.jpg

couple of issues, when fully inflated the rear tire is too fat and rubbing the chainstays ever so slightly, i'm going to have to remove the outer ring of knobbies.

Also the suspension needs to be dialed in, rear shock had almost no air so i was flattening out the shock on the first ride, also the front lock out is not working (probably needs more cable tension (or somebody sell me a manual lock out!), also placement of the remote lockout is not ideal in regards to the shifters an considering the bars are tiny by todays standards.

Shock pump is on the way, so next up tuning the shocks and removing some rubber :facepalm:

Re:

It looks great, and the little issues can all be rectified. I’m a fan of the control tech terminator bar extenders to discretely widen old bars a little.

the suntour wtb pedals are sweet and those geax tires are fast and fun. I wan to know more about the fork. Does an 80mm exist?

iveto1983":2rqgft6r said:
I’m a fan of the control tech terminator bar extenders to discretely widen old bars a little.

Good call, thats definately the way to go if the cockpit gets too crowded

Prodigal Son":2rqgft6r said:
the suntour wtb pedals are sweet and those geax tires are fast and fun. I wan to know more about the fork. Does an 80mm exist?

I think this is a 2010 fork, i have found very little info on them, there seem te be a few models around that time, a Standard, a Race and a Worldcup, from what i could gather. I dont think a 80mm exists, please bare in mind DT Swiss bought up Pace forks, so if you want 80mm you should probably look into later Pace models.

Got busy with the tread cutter, works really well. No more rubbing chainstays.

46827217014_d1536887f4_c.jpg

Also swapped out the headset spacer to a Moots one, the darker finish matches the frame better
47550790931_5bf3a7ed7f_c.jpg

First proper ride today, needs a few tweaks but almost there. Also rides way better than i thought. Not bad for 20 year old technology, and looks pretty cool :cool:

40591687383_16182dddc4_c.jpg

Spec list:

Frame: Ibis BowTi, size L, serial #9513 /w added disc tab

Fork: DT Swiss XRC 100 RL WC 2010

Headset: Chris King 1 1/8" no logo, black
Headset spacer: Moots, 20mm, titanium
Stem: Ibis, titanium, 120 mm
Stem Cap: Chris King 1 1/8" no logo, black
Handlebar: Ibis, titanium
Grips: Grab-On MTN-1 (Mombat version)

Brakes: Paul Component Klamper (long pull)
Disc Adapter: Paul Component ISO +20
Brake Pads: Kool Stop sintered
Brake Cables: XTR
Brake Rotors: Shimano XT86, 160mm (F+R)
Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial Ultimate

Shifters: XTR M9000
Front Derailleur: XTR M985
Rear Derailleur: XTR M9000 GS
Derailleur Cables: XTR
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra, R8000, 11-34
Chain: Shimano HG900-11
Cranks: XTR M9000
Chainrings: XTR 38-28
Chainring bolts: XTR
Bottom Bracket: Chris King Threadfit
Pedals: Suntour XC Comp ltd

Hub Skewers: Salsa, no logo, steel
Rims: DT Swiss EX 471, 32h
Hubs: Chris King Iso, 32h
Nipples: DT Swiss, brass
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition
Tyres: Onza Canis 26x2.25 tanwall
Tubes: tubeless, Orange Seal sealant

Saddle: Selle Flite perforated leather
Seatpost: Moots 28.6, titanium, layback
Seatpost Binder: DKG

Weight: ??

Awesome build.

What are your thoughts and feedback on the Klampers? Am considering them too. Thanks.

Zzxxyy":169iq98o said:
Awesome build.

What are your thoughts and feedback on the Klampers? Am considering them too. Thanks.

Thanks!
Well, I like the klampers. Are they wonder brakes, or better than others, no. Are they bad, no. They work just fine.
There's a number of reasons why i chose them for this build; i could combine them with v brake levers, they are mechanically simple (as in non-hydrolic and) they came in all black, which suits the build. Also they're made by a Norcal company, much like Ibis ;)

Bonus pic from before the headset spacer replacement

33913374908_2cc4e5cd9d_c.jpg

photo credit Bas Rotgans / wheelrunner.cc

How is this bike doing?

I just did the same thing with my Canis rear tyre as it was rubbing the insides of my DBR Axis TT chainstays. 224 pieces side knobs went flying!

Back