Specialized FSR-XC Comp 2000

SuperWinner

Dirt Disciple
Bought myself a Specialized FSR-XC comp from 2000, completely in original and like new state.

Found in on the Dutch "marktplaats" sort of Ebay.

I couldn't let it go because of it's originality, even the tires are original and hardly used.
Only "problem" I found is that I have my doubts about the rear derailleur. If I have it on the smallest chainwheel in front and back there is not enough tension on the chain. I think the cage is too short, or there is something wrong with the spring tension.

Some pictures to drool over :)

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 1,619
  • IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 1,615
  • IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 1,619
  • IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 1,617
Ahem - not sure how to put this - I assume this is you 1st MTB?

you should never engage the front granny ring and the rear small cog - why would you do that?

the granny ring is for going up steep hills at about 3mph and on the rear you will need to use the largest cogs.

the small cog on the back is for going fast - 17MPH plus and should only be used with the front middle or large ring.

anyother way of looking at this is to keep the chain as straight as possible - it wont like being bent.

having said that I will store my bikes like you mention but only to ease the spring tension on the mechs.

fotorat1":1b2sov89 said:
Ahem - not sure how to put this - I assume this is you 1st MTB?

you should never engage the front granny ring and the rear small cog - why would you do that?

the granny ring is for going up steep hills at about 3mph and on the rear you will need to use the largest cogs.

the small cog on the back is for going fast - 17MPH plus and should only be used with the front middle or large ring.

anyother way of looking at this is to keep the chain as straight as possible - it wont like being bent.

having said that I will store my bikes like you mention but only to ease the spring tension on the mechs.

Thanks for the tip. I know not use this combo of gears, but as far as I know there should always be enough tension on the chain. I have more MTB’s and none of them has this problem.

And I do the same as you, store the bike with the least amount of tension on the rear derailleur.

ok for triples

1 going uphill use the front granny ring (small) and the top half largest cogs on the rear
2 going downhill fast use the large front ring and the smallest 4 rear cogs
3 for mooching around on the flat use the middle ring and possibly all of the rear cogs but its best to avoid the largest and smallest

doing this the chain will kept straight and it give the cogs and rings less wear - which is very important if they are alloy.

fotorat1":2yxb6gdf said:
ok for triples

1 going uphill use the front granny ring (small) and the top half largest cogs on the rear
2 going downhill fast use the large front ring and the smallest 4 rear cogs
3 for mooching around on the flat use the middle ring and possibly all of the rear cogs but its best to avoid the largest and smallest

doing this the chain will kept straight and it give the cogs and rings less wear - which is very important if they are alloy.

This I understand.

But still I'm quite sure the derailleur should always be capable to keep the chain more or less under tension. I have added a photo of what happens.
I know I will never use the gears like this. But as I already mentioned my Trek 8500 and my Koga XPM-M always keep the chain under tension.

The chain is not too long, because when I change to large front and large rear there is almost no extra length left.

So it's the tension from the spring of the derailleur or the length of the cage. But the derailleur seems original, like everything on the bike.

1st photo is front largest chainwheel, rear one of the middle, just to show the length of the cage which seems short to mee.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1,523
  • IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,521
Re:

It could be that somewhere along the way the previous owner has fitted a larger cassette that is too big for what looks like a very short cage xtr derailleur to handle when the chain is the right length.

Re:

That looks nice, I've always liked how these bikes look, and they're (were) supposed to ride nicely too.

As for the rear mech, have you checked the chain length? A too long chain would do that. Its more likely a chain has been replaced but not been measured up correctly. Try removing a couple of links.

Back