Voodoo Wanga

Madmax1993

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
After seeing a 17" version of this frame for sale on here, I set about acquiring one, in a more appropriate 19" frame size. Within a week, one turned up on eBay, and I jumped at the chance, given that there's not many of them about.
When it arrived, I set about building it, beginning with a few parts I had picked up and was saving for a special build, including a maverick sc32 fork and matching wheel that I bought on here (many thanks to user leddersuk), and a 9spd xtr rear derailleur. The voodoo frame is modern, but the thin steel tubing looks pretty retro, so I wanted to build it with retro parts but modern functionality.
I could go on and on, but a picture is worth 1000 words and all that, so here are a few pictures I took today, now that I'm satisfied the build is complete.

p5pb14965589.jpg

p5pb14965614.jpg

p5pb14965677.jpg

p5pb14965646.jpg

p5pb14965619.jpg

Thanks to Pye7183 for parting with the Charge Splashback tyres and the Bike Station Edinburgh for the bargain Xtr rear mech and the charge Spoon saddle.

Re:

Thanks, glad you like it.
The front hub is a maverick one too, specific to their forks. It has a huge 24mm through axle. I believe hope and Chris king make compatible hubs too, but the forum member who sold me the fork included the front wheel, which just so happens to match the mavic 717 rim on the rear wheel.

Re:

That looks cool I like the voodoo wanga's. I have a voodoo bokor which is the aluminium equivalent I guess.

Kyle

Re:

Hi wicket, it's an 11-40 cassette from sunrace. It's about the biggest range I can run on the medium cage xtr mech.

Re:

As much as I enjoyed building this, and am really pleased with the result (I think the candy red steel tubes go really well with the tan tyres and saddle, and the retro modern spec fits together nicely, if I do say so myself), it has occurred to me that I really should have built a 29er hardtail instead. My intention with this was to have a 'ride to the trails' bike that's better for long days in the saddle than my 26" wheeled Orange Five trail centre focussed bike. The Wanga has basically ended up as a somewhat burly hardtail with the same wheel size as the orange. It is less of an energy drain than the orange for XC use, but a 29er would be even better, and cover more bases. the Wanga just isn't different enough from the Orange to justify keeping it.
Long story short, I've got my eye on a 29er and once I've got it (and assuming I get along with it, although I have no reason to think I won't) I intend to sell the Wanga, either as a bike or split it and sell the parts separately.

Re:

Don't mean to push you too break it and its very nice too break.. but if you do I'll be very interested in the fork and wheels

Back