** Canfield EPO - Carbon 29er **

Re:

It's been a beautiful day here today so I decided to take the EPO out for a proper shakedown. :cool:

No issues at all with setup or position on the bike, although slow-speed steering feels a little vague compared to what I'm used to. Once it's picked up some speed it feels better... maybe that's what happens with raked-out front ends...?

I made a conscious effort not to bob the forks on the climbs so I could monitor the travel on the way down, and by the time I got home according to the green o-ring (as seen in the last pic) I'd blown-through all the travel! I may try to boost the mid-stroke on compression a little, but it actually felt really nice on the way down! There were a few rocks set into the track which the front end just absorbed on landing without issue, and at no point did it seem to dive too much under braking either, so I don't think the base fork tune (set according to DVOs own weight guides) is too far off!

Only niggles are stones flinging up under the little fork deflector and the sound of an occasional stone pinging off the carbon down tube, so I'll have to find something to protect that I think! ;)

In the second picture you can make out between the trees the ferry 'Loch Seaforth' heading on its way to Ullapool, and in the fourth one is 'Lews Castle'.

Attachments

• maxtravel.jpeg
    maxtravel.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 1,764
  • epo4.jpeg
    epo4.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 1,765
  • epo3.jpeg
    epo3.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 1,764
  • epo2.jpeg
    epo2.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 1,764
  • epo1.jpeg
    epo1.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 1,764
Re: ** Canfield Brothers EPO - Carbon 29er **

Really lovely looking bike! I am glad you are happy with it ;)

Re:

After coming off on a previous ride when I had my Black Sheep, I needed to replace my helmet (a Troy Lee A1) which I had damaged in the fall.

Hunting on the internet for a suitable alternative I discovered the A1 has been superseded by the A2, and as that fitted me well, decided I would see what was available.

I found this.... matte black with green pinstripes.... it's almost like it was meant to be! :cool:

Attachments

• A2b.jpeg
    A2b.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 1,681
  • A2.jpeg
    A2.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 1,681
Re:

So the steerer on the forks has had its final cut and stem height pretty much dialled, felt better yesterday. :cool:
In the post this morning came a matching RT99 rear brake disc in 180mm to match the 203mm front... reckon that's about it now! ;)

Attachments

• canfield2.jpeg
    canfield2.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 1,556
  • canfield1.jpeg
    canfield1.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 1,556
Re:

BUILD SPEC:

Canfield Brothers EPO carbon 29er frame in XL
DVO Diamond 140mm travel 29er forks
Chris King matte slate DropSet2 headset
Chris King matte slate Threadfit24 bottom bracket
Enve MTN 70mm carbon stem
Enve carbon seat post 30.9 with setback
Answer 20/20 720 Pro Taper carbon bars
Fabric Radius Race titanium saddle
Salsa Lip Lock seat clamp 35mm
Shimano XTR 9020 175 cranks
Shimano XTR 9020 brakes
Shimano XTR M9000 GS rear mech
Shimano XTR M9000 11 speed chain
Shimano XTR RT99 centrelock discs - 203mm front 180mm rear
Shimano PD-M959 spd pedals
Shimano XT M8000 cassette 11-42
Absolute Black 32 tooth oval chain ring
DT Swiss E1700 Spine 2 28 spoke 29er tubeless wheels 142x12 rear 100x15 front
Schwalbe Nobby Nic tubeless tyres 29 x 2.35
Ritchey WCS grips and end plugs
Black tubeless valves
Carbon bottle cage

Re: ** Canfield Brothers EPO - Carbon 29er **

It turned out great!!! Really a looked, what did you say, how much does it weigh?

Re:

That's the 'last' part just ordered! :xmas-wink:

The Cane Creek 40 was always just going to be a stop-gap and is nowhere near the bearing quality of Chris King, and Chris King distributors 'Saddleback' now have stock of the new 'DropSet2' integrated headset.... :xmas-big-grin:

So there is now a Matte Slate headset winging its way to Eilean Siar and the EPO will finally have a matching BB and headset! :xmas-cool:

Re:

DropSet arrived yesterday :xmas-cool:

Attachments

• ckds3.jpeg
    ckds3.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,279
  • ckds2.jpeg
    ckds2.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 1,279
  • ckds1.jpeg
    ckds1.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,279