DMR Trailstar 2 frame build all rounder rigid OW fork colour

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
So I've really been going round in circles with what to build as a round town bike. I want something subtle but something that can do anything and don't want hassle from a bright bike while out with kids or locking it up at a shop or work. I was building a P7 as a commuter, or the RustHopper, or other things, and the OW fork didn't seem like it would work on a Specialized, the P7 was a bit small and only had V brake forks.

Just found this TS2 so sack it lets do it! It'll be still too small but comfortable for bits n bobs. It also adds to my ridiculous collection of DMR and a nice big brother for the Rhythm. Lower BB than the Omen too.

Seems mostly OK but paint/finish is horrible, crumbly flakey rubbish. I'll double my investment with a powdercoat. Question is what colour? I'll be using the DMR Olly Wilkins fork below.

I had a look in to it.
https://www.credainatcon.com/what-color ... green.html
Apart from a safe black, albeit possibly metallic, a medium blue, grey, teal, etc

you might remember my old IO which went full on Kwak Green, not that bright this time even though it was a great finish.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=217052
Forks themselves are a bit scraped but still a bit too nice to recoat but it is an option.

I really need some suitable studs for the rear brakes as I'll run a V brake, know where I can get some? the ones off my later Rhythm seem a bit tighter thread.

Spec wise:
V brake and BB5 front
8 XT/Tiagra or 9 speed Deore SLX
New Mavic XM719 to go lighter wheeled for a change
400mm seat post
probably 3" bars
50 or 60mm stem
Simple...

Attachments

• Clockwork Comp.jpg
    Clockwork Comp.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 1,702
  • trailstar comp.jpg
    trailstar comp.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 1,700
  • trailstar stays.jpg
    trailstar stays.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,700
  • Trailstar.jpg
    Trailstar.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,699
  • Trailstar1.jpg
    Trailstar1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,701
  • IO.jpg
    IO.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,702
Re: Re:

coomber":2ot2fzpp said:
Registering interest

Cheers :cool:
Any thoughts on colour? Black would be really easy, but maybe blue like on the Decal on the Omen there.

My little one has learnt to ride a real bike, so I took my BMX away on hol with us, it was brilliant, fun and cankeep jumping off to help her up hills etc, but this would be bigger and fit on the rack better (in theory) and would be a brilliant all rounder.

I'm leaning to black with some discreet colour in the metallic, grey, blue, or teal, or gold!!)
It'll be a quick decision once I'm there looking at samples!
I might even look at redoing my Rhythm too as it was rattle canned with Plastikote, despite having a NOS forest green frame. :D

Aeronaut thread is a great one. I think us Retrobikers are the only ones who care about restoring DMRs! Google search alway brings us back in. I've just dragged up another good one in a deep violet blue.

Re:

Did the palstikote not work great?

I wouldn't stress on colour. Any new paint job will look great. Easy to add colour too like you say

Colour suggestions are good.
Satin Gunmetal has to go on something at somepoint I think!
Bronze, this pictured is a well used Special Edition paint job on eBay currently. Reminds me of the Bandit special Transition Trans AM. A bit too good for this build but would look ace on a proper resto.
Further Colour inspiration.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/ashtonpowde ... e_internal

The NOS XM719 rear wheel came yesterday its only built with an Alivio hub, but looks really great, wider and chunkier than i'd expected. Plan is to build a matching rim, which I have, or en521 or disc 719, on to a Hope XC hub I have 'in stock'.

I'm almost there with the cantilever studs a seller on eBay says he's got some that fit, I tried the Rhythm ones designed to fit steel, and this bolt, neither fit.

Speaking of the Rhythm Coomber, PLastikote did an OK job actually to be fair but does chip off fairly easily. I might not rush in to it just yet. Would be nice to build the Forest Green and black one first see if it's as much fun.

Attachments

• TRailstar SE.jpg
    TRailstar SE.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,515
  • APS.jpg
    APS.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,515
  • Rhythm green.jpg
    Rhythm green.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,516
So I took my Trailstar 1 away with me on a leisurely September camping Weekender and started to question myself on why I had 3 of these small bikes!!! Haha.
My thinking is that the TS2 here would be nicer to ride maybe but still small. I almost sold all 3 but that was a crazy idea obviously. The early one is cool and has horizontal drop outs.
I realised that my DMR Omen actually feels the smallest... Next thing I know I have a NOS 18" mk3 to build!!!

So the Omen and this Trailstar is currently on eBay...

Back