DMR Switchback Build back BIGGER and Newer NOS rebuild

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Update on page 2

The first Switchback wasn't meant to be for me and although fun the 16" was a short reach so when a mate found an 18" NOS frame hanging on a wall of a shop, I couldn't stop thinking about it and eventually gave them a call. They are a really nice frame design just to look at and a fairly buttery ride. Some crumbled badly, legend has it that the later ones without ISCG mounts were makes stronger in the downtube, I'm hoping that's true and does feel fairly stiff.... Switchback shop.jpeg

Behold this near mythical beast!
:LOL: :cool:

Possibly one of the least tough DMR bikes intended for XC and trail. Lots of stories and reports out there of breakages, possibly just misused. I have a Kinesis Decade Virtue too and those were reported to crack around the seat tube top, mines OK, so two mythical beasts!

I'd just decided that my Trailstars and Omen are to small for me really and might be ending up sold, then I found this. It is also too small especially as an XC bike so It's going to get built for my long suffering lady - she doesn't know yet of course! :LOL: :LOL: Geometry is 71 and 72.5 degrees same as Trailstar but 11mm longer TT, playful 419 chainstays, taller BB.

2003/4/5 model? the later ones were Reynolds 525 and no ISCG mount, mine is a sort of bluey grey colour in Reynolds 520 weighs less than 5lb!!

First of all Powdercoat? Seems a shame but would look great all tidy and nice or enjoy the patina? :?: :idea:

Build wise, 2005 Reba U Turn 115mm, BB5 brakes, wheels either build some browny 36h x317 into Hope F/Deore R from stock. or XM719 rims? 8 or 9 speed - undecided. 170mm or 172.5 Cranks needed, and thats it should be light and fun, simple and cheap enough.

Let us know if you have any info or ideas or even an opinion on a recoat.

Cheers

Attachments

• Switchbacksmall.jpg
    Switchbacksmall.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 917
  • Switchback1small.jpg
    Switchback1small.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 916
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 1.56.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 1.56.13 PM.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 933
Last edited:
Re:

Nice frame

What is the seattube white paint about? That would decide if I powder coated it for me.

Build wise spot on

Re: Re:

coomber":1dzb6p8v said:
Nice frame

What is the seattube white paint about? That would decide if I powder coated it for me.

Build wise spot on

Thanks

I wondered that before I bought it. Close inspection so far it just looks a little lumpy. No big issue it seems. To know for sure I'll sand paper it down...
I was thinking more as the originality is always nice plus it's very understated to not get scallies after it. Hmm

The Reba's maybe needed for my Decade now as I have yet another DMR incoming but actually in my size that needs the Sektors.
So Duke XC may stand in on the spec sheet for now. Equally any of the above wheels.

Re:

I thought it looks like that rust protector paint or scorched from a stuck seat post?

Realised I never updated this...
Collected a few parts, a retro modern 1x10 and other bits as they turned up. Ended up a Triggers broom thing as none of the old bike parts made it over! Frame got a little paint from plastikote, then a cut and polish.

Turns out it was a bit big for my partner with the taller fork elevating the 16" frame up a few inch over the 60mm travel old Merlin so that's getting rebuilt. Despite it being clearly small for me, I quite like it seems more alive and fun than my Decade Virtue somehow. A mate discovered an 18" NOS a few years ago so despite not biting then, I've now bought it! Watch this space if interested! It'll still be tight geometry but offer a longer top tube and 2" of seat tube. In stealth black it'll be perfect for local stuff and should be a sensible weight for my aging dad bod to charge or cruise about on...

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_120712959.jpg
    IMG_20210627_120712959.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20200826_144400283_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200826_144400283_HDR.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200826_144428231.jpg
    IMG_20200826_144428231.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20201107_145617623_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201107_145617623_HDR.jpg
    821.8 KB · Views: 35
That looks great! DMR made such good looking frames! I say 'made,' because their current Trailstar is hideous!
I have c.2001 Trailstar that I'm going to repaint and rebuild and am quite excited about it. It will be similar to yours, with 1x9 drivetrain and disc brakes.

PS What does NOS stand for?

Great timing - yesterday I just picked up a Kinesis Decade Virsis so I am looking for some ideas. It is currently rigid and I am currently considering going half fat as I don’t have any suitable forks.

That looks great! DMR made such good looking frames! I say 'made,' because their current Trailstar is hideous!
I have c.2001 Trailstar that I'm going to repaint and rebuild and am quite excited about it. It will be similar to yours, with 1x9 drivetrain and disc brakes.

PS What does NOS stand for?
Thank you. It's nice to look at too. It's sat in my spare room now. Need to pull a few parts off to rebuild the Merlin but seems a pity to so quickly! I know what you mean. The new Trailstar is a good ride I believe but I can't get on with the design, they've also made the Rhythm 26" wheel and Aluminium but then maybe that's market trends. Almost bought a 24" Sect as they discontinued but missed it. Wasn't meant to be... I've got a 2009 era Trailstar to build but this Switchback is more suited to my current riding so it's queue jumping. Give it a good candy powder coat and a nice fresh build it'll be ace. Don't forget to share!
Oh and New Old Stock. 👍

Last edited:
Great timing - yesterday I just picked up a Kinesis Decade Virsis so I am looking for some ideas. It is currently rigid and I am currently considering going half fat as I don’t have any suitable forks.
Oh good stuff. They're Versatile!
I had an 18 inch Virtue it's on here that got gears and suspension. Then built a 20 inch. Much better size. Tried rigid. 27.5, then 26 which I preferred with 26 fork. And then suspension all single speed. It's competition and stable brother will be my 18" Switchback.
Give it a build and keep trying different set ups nice frames.

Attachments

• 131964061_304369664229985_5756995264993803180_n.jpg
    131964061_304369664229985_5756995264993803180_n.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • Decade.jpg
    Decade.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 14
Thank you. It's nice to look at too. It's sat in my spare room now. Need to pull a few parts off to rebuild the Merlin but seems a pity to so quickly! I know what you mean. The new Trailstar is a good ride I believe but I can't get on with the design, they've also made the Rhythm 26" wheel and Aluminium but then maybe that's market trends. Almost bought a 24" Sect as they discontinued but missed it. Wasn't meant to be... I've got a 2009 era Trailstar to build but this Switchback is more suited to my current riding so it's queue jumping. Give it a good candy powder coat and a nice fresh build it'll be ace. Don't forget to share!
Oh and New Old Stock. 👍
2009? Would that be a Trailstar 2? I have one of those as well. Very nice but also very heavy!

Latest posts

Back