A teenage dream! 1998 DMR trailstar project

Gorgeous bike
Shame no original ‘98 Red V12s ;)
I’m looking to get all red parts for my next build.....

Attachments

• 9CD7A411-2DBA-4C39-997E-952EABEF63AD.jpeg
    9CD7A411-2DBA-4C39-997E-952EABEF63AD.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 1,264
Oh Wow! That looks fab!!!! Great work

is the coating now super smooth, no rub down marks showing?

Done a fantastic job there. It's easy to over think these builds but anything goes with parts I think. Mine - pictured previously started as a cheap frame and wanted a bike to ride about on locally that wasn't too posh plus I wanted an early TS. I never got too precious but I do have those tired Z1's I mentioned, some NOS classic look Wing bars and a few other bits, I might even faff with brakes XT maybe. and I did have some proper SS wheels to build/fit.

BTW you're right yours looks like an early one, possibly not butted? and a 1997? no disc tabs.

The rear end is surprisingly long, even slammed it's a long chainstay.

Awesome keep us posted!

Attachments

• DMRBlue03catalog.jpg
    DMRBlue03catalog.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,247
This is kind of my era also (early noughties). I had a trailstar which I bought 2nd hand and built up out of spares. It's long since split into parts although I still own the frame.

Before the trailstar I ran this twentyfourseven, which in hindsight was a real peach to look at!

Joe

Attachments

• IMG00773-20100306-16501.jpg
    IMG00773-20100306-16501.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,064
  • IMG00050-20090823-12211.jpg
    IMG00050-20090823-12211.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,064
Both beautiful bikes Joe, just like me and my mates were riding around on at that time. I bet that Trailstar took a bit of effort to get rolling with that gearing! (looking at the build I bet it must of weighed 40lbs as well!)

Re:

reanimation":2abf4itm said:
Joe, how was the 24Seven compared?

I can't really remember now to be honest! I seem to recall I didn't get on with the BB on it - it had a strange BMX spline type thing which relied on locking rings to stay secure. I could never keep it tight for more than a couple of rides.

petehaddock":2abf4itm said:
Both beautiful bikes Joe, just like me and my mates were riding around on at that time. I bet that Trailstar took a bit of effort to get rolling with that gearing! (looking at the build I bet it must of weighed 40lbs as well!)

Yeh very high geared - I think I bought it with that chainring and quickly changed it to a smaller one which still resides on the frame now.

And yes, super heavy! But absolutely bombproof. It jumped really well, but I doubt I could hop it as high nowadays.

Re: Re:

Joe_Rides":28p82yqe said:
reanimation":28p82yqe said:
Joe, how was the 24Seven compared?

I can't really remember now to be honest! I seem to recall I didn't get on with the BB on it - it had a strange BMX spline type thing which relied on locking rings to stay secure. I could never keep it tight for more than a couple of rides.

Thats actually the last thing that annoyed me on my Trailstar last trip out, Gusset Pigmy BB was winding out and coming loose/tight! Didn't get on with it from new but it does look tough!

Great job. I need a set of those decals and can get them made by people who know what they are doing. Any way I can get a copy of your great artwork? I need sizes for the DMR down tube decals too. Any help will be really appreciated.

Back