One in - One out...

Re:

My Thomson parts arrived from Evans cycles, my plan is the Trail bars onto the Turner with the existing 50mm Thomson stem and layback post. Hopefully they will be a good fit for me. The bars have less rise but are slightly longer than the Race Face bars fitted.

The seat post clamp and 70mm stem will go on the Orange with the bars from the Turner. It currently has a 100mm stem which is a touch too long and narrower bars. So hopefully the combination of the shorter stem and wider bars will also fit me ok.

I have the option to swap stems about and the Orange has an inline post, so I should be able to get them both spot on. Once set up I will order a Thomson post for whichever bike ends up without one. I really fancy the Thomson dropper but it is a big chunk of money.

Annoyingly the Stem arrived from Evans with a bolt missing, after some complaining they reduced the price to £51.99 and gave me a £5 voucher for the inconvenience. The replacement bolt should be with me by the middle of the week.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 1,083
Got a call from Evans cycles today, they are sending me a replacement stem for delivery tomorrow instead of just the missing bolt.

Re:

Evans came good and new stem arrived today, Course it is now 5 days late and I have to take the original stem to a drop & go shop to return it. Shame they didn't get it right first time but at least they corrected their mistake promptly, can't ask more than that I suppose.

Too cold to fit today and I start on nights tomorrow so it will be next week before I get round to doing anything now.

Have you got these goodies fitted yet. I'm having a bar debate myself. I think I need a bit of a rise on mine to bring it up a bit. Getting old.

t wild":2u5pfyrw said:
Have you got these goodies fitted yet. I'm having a bar debate myself. I think I need a bit of a rise on mine to bring it up a bit. Getting old.

Not yet, I thought it was time to get a torque wrench and do it right, that has now arrived but I am on nights. Hopefully have it done in the next few days.

Like you I am wondering if the Thomson XC bar is too low rise, especially as I bought a 0° rise stem!

I wouldnt worry about having 4 bikes - I usually have that many on the go (build wise) at a time

Anyway counting bikes is not allowed and anyone who says any of the following to statements to you -

How many bikes do you have

When do you ride them all

how much did that cost.

all jealous and big noses and small genitals

you can have 10 bikes/20 bikes its no one elses business.....

I finally got down to 3 bikes, and they are pretty much at the spec I want. Then today I bought a 650b Clockwork 120 and am now back to 4.

I will get some photos of the new bike tomorrow, looks like my Orange Evo8 is going up for sale now! Shame as I have really warmed to that bike.

18 months ago I would have been happy with the RS 30 Gold, but after running around on a Reba Race for so long it feels low rent. Sadly the Reba won't fit as the new bike is tapered headset & 650b, so it will have to go. I will be on the lookout for something more sophisticated just as soon as I have forgotten how much the new bike cost.

I have moved the Thomson bars & stem over but need a new post clamp and a shim to fit my Thomson post. My Ice Tech rotors & DMR V12s have also jumped ship to the new bike.

Transmission is M8000 2x11, and brakes are M8000, so they will all be staying as will the 650b Crossride wheels. They are currently set up as qr, but convert to15mm through axle.

To prevent me building the Evo8 back up everything else will be sold, including the frame. I always wondered why people pay a premium for Orange frames, but after a year with the Evo8 I now know, and look forward to many miles on the Clockwork.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (28).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (28).jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 482
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (27).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (27).jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 482
Re:

The Clockwork now has a new Reba 120 with maxle and a Thomson seatpost clamp is fitted. I will be ordering a 30.9 Thomson post in the next few days.

More importantly it has caused me to fall out of love with my Turner! I fitted my favourite tyres to the Turner and have been using it the last two days but really want to ride the Orange! I am wondering if I now have space in my life for a full suspension bike. Perhaps I only need two bikes, the Clockwork and my Cube ebike.

Back