2003 Cannondale Jekyll 500

puredead666

Devout Dirtbag
This is my pride and joy. I don't have much money these days with all this credit crunch kerfuffle so this will have to do :)
I bought this bike from ebay a few months ago for £200 which at the time I thought was a decent deal until I got my hands on it. On the first ride of it I rode off a curb outside of my workplace and the back wheel banged on the seat tube. Weird I thought but upon closer inspection something didn't seem right. The Forks where pointing the wrong way and the whole bike seemed to be at a really slack state. so, after trawling the internet for a reason why it would be like this i noticed that there was 2 different types of shock for the Jekyll with one being shorter than the other and there being a distinct difference in where the thread was located on the body. After a little discussion with my boss he suggested having the thread chased further up the shocks body and he knew someone who would do it for me so i raced round to see him before he closed that friday and he did the work for me.
After i fitted the shock there was a huge improvement albeit not the improvement i was looking for. Anyway i rode it around in this state for a month or so intil i eventually found a shock on Ebay that was the right one :D
When I fitted the new shock and a new set of bearings i was instantly amazed and continue to be amazed on how smooth a ride it is.
Other things i have replaced was a shorter stem as the reach was a tad to long with the one i got with it some grips and a saddle amongst other little maintainance parts such as cables and brake pads.
I know the bike is advancing in age and has a few blemishes but it also has it's own character :)
one thing i have noticed which mystifies me is on sunday i took it out for a ride and i noticed the forks where getting stiffer as the day went on and the only thing i can think of is that the grease in the forks is solidifying in the cold :?

Frame: Cannondale Jekyll 500 (2003)

Fork: Pace RC36 Carbon

Headset: Cane Creek
Stem: Easton Vice
Handlebar: Bontrager
Grips: Spank lock-on
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Shimano XT
Brake Pads: Shimano XTR copies
Brake Cables: Cheapys
Brake Levers: Shimano LX

Shifters: Shimano LX
Front Derailleur: Shimano LX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX
Derailleur Cables: Clarks Teflon
Cassette: Shimano LX 9spd
Chain: KMC gold chain
Cranks: Shimano LX
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket:???
Pedals: DMR V8

Hub Skewers: Shiamno LX
Rims: Mavic
Hubs: Shimano LX Silent Clutch
Nipples: Some nice looking copper ones
Spokes: ??
Tyres: Specialized
Tubes: ???

Saddle: Madison Flux
Seatpost:??
Seatpost Binder: WCS

Weight: Not amazingly light but deffo not heavy

Thanks for reading about my bike and if you see me out and about on it give me a wave :D

Attachments

• 2011-09-08 19.42.40.jpg
    2011-09-08 19.42.40.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 5,491
  • 2011-11-22 13.56.29.jpg
    2011-11-22 13.56.29.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 5,491
  • 2011-11-22 13.56.42.jpg
    2011-11-22 13.56.42.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 5,491
  • 2011-11-22 13.56.55.jpg
    2011-11-22 13.56.55.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 5,491
Yeah it's quite weird about the shock and i'm glad i over came that problem because at first i was a little distraught that i had been done over and i don't like to kick up a fuss much so i just got on with it.
Indeed it is a great all rounder and a total joy to ride :D

Re:

Thats a cool bike, did you buy it with the pace forks fitted? Any idea what headset it uses?
Just picked up a jekyll this morning with the usual sticky headshok.

Re: shock size

hope you still have the bike?

can you report the shock sizes for your new and old please?

eye to eye and stroke length?

mine isnt hitting yhe seat tube - but this has peaked my interest

Back