Apollo Encounter, modifying a munter...

pingu_turbo

Dirt Disciple
Apollo Encounter 2014

Df8e1iQ.jpg

I was given this bike by a friend for my wife who wants to get out on the trails and enjoy the outside. The idea is that this very budget bike (last sold for around £100 I believe and can be bought for little over £40 on ebay/gumtree etc) that can be made into something a bit more palletable than the weighty lump it is now. There seems to be many cut corners that detract from making this bike a ‘nice’ ride.

The idea of this project is to prove to myself that a very budget bike can be turned into something ok to ride, build confidence in and live with, without killing your wallet.

For the inaugural rides, my wife and I went out around my village to see how she felt on the bike (hasn’t ridden for nearly 20 years), and make any adjustments need to be done, sort of a shakedown. It was apparent very quickly that she wanted a pair of mudguards fitted to help prevent mud on the face, more on that later. Overall not too bad, minor gear adjustments, the front forks work well enough (a little soft for anything other than ‘soft road’ riding along trails, although it could be adjusted slightly harder).

First job, mudguards. Cost £13.99 - Crud Racepac 29er Mudguard Set

aRxbEBi.jpg

Image from amazon.co.uk listing https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crud-Racepac-2 ... B00BMOX3UC

I had plenty of ‘crud catchers’ back in the 90’s and the always worked reasonably well, hence the choice and the price helped!

I had totally omitted to notice that the rear derailleur cables also share residence with the underside of the cross tube - exactly where I wanted to fit the front mudguard!

Bike upturned with handlebars on the left, see cables that would not work with this type of mudguard.

8l6jQyr.jpg

If I had fitted as intended with a couple of cable ties, I would probably have struggled to change gears due to them being pinched between the frame and mudguard.

Enter the 3d printer I set about measuring and designing a small bracket that would enable the mudguard to straddle over the top of the two cables without pinching, I came up with this.

Also posted here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=381611

B3oWtOq.jpg

Screwed to the mudguard in a suitable place.

AVRn4J6.jpg

Fitted in situ with cable operation unaffected.

6CHG7cG.jpg

Rear fitted as intended.

gsmcOQj.jpg

Until we take the bike out for a proper run, I am sure there will be more that needs to be done! Tyres are a must as the originals are badly cracked. I also notice that one of the cable adjusters on the brakes is stripped and will need to be fixed.

Total cost so far:

Bike £free
Mudguards £13.99 (and a few pence for mounting brackets)

Nice brackets. The less technical such a I, put a couple of lengths of inner tube between instead.

Great to see a bit of turd polishing. I'm trying to get the missus to come out with me so I'm planning on some upgrades to her gt. Wider bars for control and a set of mudguards. I would consider a crank swap on that if it's got an old steel one. The weight difference will show when you take it off. That and the tyres and see how she likes it

The History Man":1duzfagb said:
Nice brackets. The less technical such a I, put a couple of lengths of inner tube between instead.

To be fair, if I didn’t have access to the 3d printer I would have done something very similar.

t wild":1duzfagb said:
Great to see a bit of turd polishing. I'm trying to get the missus to come out with me so I'm planning on some upgrades to her gt. Wider bars for control and a set of mudguards. I would consider a crank swap on that if it's got an old steel one. The weight difference will show when you take it off. That and the tyres and see how she likes it

The satisfying thing about polishing this turd is that anything I do is going to be an improvement. I rode it to work the other day and the weight is an issue for me (pushing 16kg), let alone someone who hasn’t ridden for a long time (on a side note, she doesn’t know what a light bike feels like).

Thanks for the tip about the crank, I’ll see if I can find something lighter and reasonably priced.

So I fitted some new tyres, Schwalbe Land Cruisers £22 delivered.

J1fz1Pr.jpg

Whilst we were out riding together I noticed that I was freewheeling and my wife was pedalling to keep up with me. I thought whilst the rims were off the bike I’d service the hubs. Fully stripped the bearings, regreased, assembled and re adjusted. The same was done with the pedals and bottom bracket (felt a bit notchy/crunchy after the first 14 mile ride)

W4An3Ae.jpg

Always make sure you open these up over a container! (learnt the hard way many years ago)

yJLLb7b.jpg

I have some more bits coming to rectify the short comings with the braking and gears.

Total cost so far:

Bike £free
Tyres £22

After a few rides I neglected to notice that the bottom bracket had worked loose, causing a unsavoury crunching from the area. I stripped the bottom bracket off and found that the bearing cage had warn and was allowing the bearing to move around. As we were planning on going for a ride the next day, I bent the bearing cage so that it no longer fell apart and re adjusted so that there was no slop but still free movement. There was still a feelable noticiness so I opted to replace the bottom bracket at the next available opportunity.

New budget sealed bottom bracket, VP-BC73 68 x 122.5 £9.99
aaqmLma.jpg

With that, I had some nice new parts arrive!

The Shimano Alivio T4000 range from a couple of years ago and keenly priced at £39.99 delivered
e6FTMRg.jpg

Total costs so far

Bike £free
Tyres £22
Bottom bracket £9.99
Brake levers and calipers £39.99

Latest posts

Back