End to End Build AND Ride

Re:

Looks good. The Sram RD sits suprisingly well with the Campag.

Definitately going to give Srampag a go. I have Rival RD...but it is white and going on a white frame which should look nice and offset its low end status!

Re: End to End Build

Grabbed four 2 litre bottles of sparkling water, whatever tools were lying about, half a dozen inner tubes, a hoodie and a bag full of bar tape to create both weight and bulk and flung it all into two rear panniers. Just over 14kg in total between the two bags

Deliberately put all the weight at the back to test handling, which it seemed to cope with nicely. I have a bar bag to go on which will help balance things. A tool bottle will take some of the heavier tools I'm taking and will go on a third cage mount on the underside of the downtube, so weight distribution on the ride itself should be pretty good.

Did 20 miles with 350m of climbing up and over Eaglesham Moor in the harder direction. Almost all of the climbing was into the wind, so I'm quite happy with the 13mph average.

I have 7 weeks of training time left thanks to injury and weather... 40 miler tomorrow.

Attachments

• e2etraining.jpg
    e2etraining.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 898

What a hoot today... this thing just rolls and rolls! Added a nice orangey-coloured Altura rack pack that I got for less than half price from Merlin - I figured that would be great for stashing the waterproofs

Hauling 15kg of water and hoodies (on what is not a light bike anyway) up 9 & 10% inclines ain't easy, but once I remembered to use the 36 at the back, it got very easy!

Would have been nice to dodge the icy showers, but I guess the more my character gets built in training, the better!

Re:

Do you really need to carry that much stuff with you? 15kg seems like a lot, unless you're camping of course

I'm not going to be taking anywhere near 15kg of stuff on the ride itself. The extra weight is just to accelerate training as I'm a bit behind due to a combination of weather and a broken hand.

Last multi-day ride I did saw me take under 9kg of gear and that included stuff to do a days work at the other end.

I'll do a dummy pack in a couple of weeks but Id be surprised if it was much more than 10kg including bags.

Re:

You got more details of the campag 10 speed to sram idea?

Have you tweaked the ergo shifter?

Any pics?

Awesome otherwise

No tweaking required other than set up of the rear mech cabling and indexing. It needs no converters, adapters or highly engineered doodahs to work.

I did overhaul the right ergo, but only to improve shifting generally, not to make it work with the SRAM rear mech.

This is the second bike where I've used a SRAMpagnolo drivetrain. As long as you are using 10 speed ergos and a 10 speed SRAM rear mech it just works. NB. SRAM/Shmano cassettes only

I take it this is the bike for the Dun fell ride Ken looks like you will be purring up that hill with them gears. :LOL:

Yeah, think so mate. I need to get used to riding a tourer, so every opportunity is being taken, with the exception of the still salty roads on my commute.

I'd love to bring either loud Cougar or PDM Concorde, but the enforced overnight makes it logical to load up panniers and use at least some of the trip as a training exercise the End to End ride.

My train back is 2.30 on the Sunday, so I'm feeling obliged to head West for a few hours of loaded riding after breakfast. All welcome obviously.

Back