specialized 1998 FSR Elite - rebuild help

Hi,
I've finally decided to post on here.
THe reason being I managed to stumble across a badly described 1998 Specialized FSR Elite in Team Red for £130 on the bay.
This was the bike in the magazines I wanted when I was young but couldn't afford. It had to be mine.

Ebkhga3h.png

hf7nf4Bh.jpg

Having got it I've set about stripping it, will give everything a good clean and polish.

In doing this I've started to build up an idea of what parts need some attention and what parts I'm now on the look out for.
Any help on fixing these parts would be gratefully received:

The Rock Shox JUDY Xl's are in good shape. I'm yet to pull them apart but they moved well when the bike was complete.

Does anyone know where or what I could replace the adjusters with on the stanchions? One of them has been a bit mangled Does anyone know if the later metal versions would fit?

I have some Magura HS33's from the Specialized Rockhopper I had back in the day. They've never been serviced but I'm sure they'll be alright with some care.

F3XxGXXh.jpg

I think those are the only two technical issues. Everything else is giving it a clean and putting it back together.

I'm also on the hunt for some period parts for the build; a flite titanium saddle, a period black seatpost, a XTR grey crankset, a period black/grey wheel set, some maxxis or irc tyres, some DMR pedals.

Thanks for your help

Re:

I’m very happy.
Spent the weekend cleaning and polishing off 20 years worth of mud. After a good polish the paint comes up good.
The Frame seems to be in good condition.
Is the MAX backbone the extruded box section that comes down as a top tube?
I’ve also read the grey rear end was made in the US as opposed to the black Taiwan rears.
Thanks,

Yeah as far as I know they were all fully made in the USA. These frames are heavier than the usual FSR frames of the same era but way stiffer and stronger. I built mine up with more modern xt and a Super T fork and it's lovely to ride if just a little small for me. Yours looks like a large. I have a long travel linkage made by Specialized if you're interested that came with my frame but which I swapped out for a BETD linkage.

I assume you've seen the big, long thread in the '98 Bike Chat section about this vintage FSRs, worth a look if you haven't.

Maguras don't need servicing or bleeding, give them a clean and they will be good for another decade's use.

hamster":1s8ek0pi said:
Maguras don't need servicing or bleeding, give them a clean and they will be good for another decade's use.

However if you have a sticking piston, remove the pads, clean, dry and then spray the piston area with GT85 and then work the brakes. If need be, hold one piston in and then the other to ensure all lubricated.

Back