WHYTE JW2

While I am waiting for the rest of the parts for this rebuild I have started on the work for disc brake conversion Prior to the paint being done.

Removed the rear brake boses and drilled through and filed down the left hand cable stops so that the hoses fit in properly: (still some weld to remove on the right hand stay.

Looks way more sleeker even before it painted!

p3pb15481591.jpg

I went out for an end of year blast yesterday. Mainly so I could promise SWMBO that it would be the last time I got filthy until next year. After a little thought I decided to ride my Whyte JW4. It has a 3X10 transmission with 720mm handlebars and shortish stem of about 70mm. I weigh 190lbs so I have the shock pressures at 190 rear and 140 front (75% of my weight).
It performed fantastically around Healey Nab, a local manmade trail. No discernible bobbing, even when stood up pedalling and a stiff, quick steering and accurate feel. I didn't keep catching the pedals on rocky ascents like I do on a contemporary bike and it climbs like nothing else. It simply doesn't waste energy compressing the suspension as you climb so more goes into forward motion. There's never any need to lock the suspension.
On the red grade downhill (which is quite tough by red standards) it was a bit rough. You just have to use your arms and legs to smooth it out and not expect a magic carpet ride.
I know from owning a JW4 up to 2011 that it's faster around the circuit than anything else I've ridden. What you lose going down is more than compensated for by the climbing.
When the bushes were shot on my original I always regretted getting rid so bought this frame in 2016 and rode it all summer. A few weeks ago I got a PRST4 frame and have built it with a 11-42 1X10. I've only done a road ride on it so far and to be honest it feels identical. I don't really need 2 but it's always nice to have a collection. My other bike is a Boardman FS Pro which to me rides just like a slightly heavy Whyte T130.

***Just realised you have a JW4 and PRST 4 great bikes*****

Great lets see some photos of it as I am still thinking about the colours for mine

I keep changing my my mind about black forks or gold ones like originally

so far

CK headset (black) done
Crossmax SLR wheels (Black and Red)got
Thomson Elite Black seat post and stem. got
Thomson X4 black stem - got
Thomson Seat post Collar got
FSA carbon Riser Bars. got
XTR M960 Rear mech. got
XTR M965 Dual Control levers/brakes.- got
XTR M960 Chainset tbc - Got]
XTR M960 Front Mech - tbc but have a 970 one in the meanwhile
Fizik black seat got = but have ordered a cow hide one...

Noticed sideways play in the main pivot bearng - which went after I tightend it up - so will do it with Lock tite eventually
DT Swiss carbon Shocks - TBC maybe after the paintwork

I'll post some pics when I can. It looks fairly original since the frame was mint, so it's in original finish. The forks on the JW4 were black, don't know about the 2. You have a far higher spec of components than they came with. My JW4 came with a 3X8 which I think was basically Deore with an FSA chainset in black. The brakes were Magura Julie, which I still had when I got my frame in 2016. They needed a rebuild so I replaced with cheap Shimano hydraulics. The stems were both Whyte branded and the saddle stem was not like anything I've seen. It had a strange but clever attachment to the saddle which never moved in 6 years of use. No other saddle would fit this stem. I dumped it when I took the bike apart, which I now, of course, regret. Keep us posted on your build and enjoy the XC focussed ride. It may seem out of date now but as I said above, it's fast on a trail but not a great downhiller.

Not a great downhiller?

Try downhilling on a hardtail with a flex stem or a Manitou Elastomer fork!

Also I am dead jealous of you with a FOUR - let me know if you ever want to part with it.

This year I am planning of getting all 3 versions (at least one example of each)

Swing arm flapping loose problem fixed, Caused by:

p2pb15503759.jpg

Luckily it just uses a 20mm washer and M6 Bolt - and as its on display I might bling it up a bit....

Also change of plans as Paint was going to cost more than buying another bike in original Paint so picked a very nice orginal JW2 last week.

New Plan:
Do the latest one which has original paint in the uber spec and do the Purple/White one in Dog walk spec ie M760

latest one progress - with spot on 21" seat tube

so far (ignore the stem/bars and rear wheel and front shock:
p4pb15549845.jpg

the grey/red/gold doesnt seem to unpleasant on the eye
p4pb15549846.jpg

The brakes came from San Jose and there is matching rear SLR on its way to me from Nice this week!

Also I have started replacing all the bolts with ti - doing the caliper bolts first

The cowhide Nisene Ti is at risk of being swapped for a black one!

the pub bike is almost finished also

Test ride disaster...Front air shock gave up and is still stuck all the way compressed - it also destroyed the front crud guard, and the stem was way too long, and the saddle felt like a gobi - plus no bar ends.

So now it has a coil spring on the front, 90mm Hope stem, MSARINS selle saddle, ergon grips and bar ends.

And 50miles in my only complaint is a lot of flex on the handlebars - presumably this is coming from long steerer...but I will experiment to fix it.

Hi jacked thread updateWHYTE JW2

Latest Config:

Been using it twice daily now for 3 weeks in this set up, and it is working superbly.

I have only been pottering around but on the odd occaision when I have got it into big ring - it has felt very stable.

So I guess if nowt is bothing me I must be happy with it.

apart from a decent front mud guard!!!

p3pb15615504.jpg

Latest posts

Back