A teenage dream! 1998 DMR trailstar project

Re:

Bet your going to say you've got a White Industries going cheap now aren't you!
Nothing that posh, but I've a load of shimano and ACS ones that I can't seem to give away. The Halo one is supposed to be good though so you should be sorted with that.
Have you got any chain tugs for it? The revolver hubs can use a bolt to hold them in place so you might not need any. Think I might have some of the originals I could let you have, I'll have a look.

Re:

I doubt those little M6 bolts will be man enough to stop the wheel slipping when my 16st arse starts jumping stair sets etc so I'll be needing tugs. I have a pair of modern 10mm BMX tugs and also a set of DMR tugs with a mech hanger attached but I would be very interested in some straight single speed DMR tugs if you've got them. :D :D :D

Re:

So I decided that after spending all this time and money sourcing the best condition/NOS parts for the build, the rattle can spray job just didn't cut it so I sent the frame for powder coating. I found a scan of the original magazine advert and decided I wanted to replicate the frame as shown. It isn't the best scan but the colour appears to be a dark blue/purple kind of colour. After talking with the guys at the powder coaters we couldn't find a proper colour match so went with a dark blue candy. The candy effect is to basically powder coat the frame silver and then go over it again with a clear coat mixed with a blue tint. More tint equals darker finished colour etc. The forks were only ever available in black as far as I know but I liked the idea of them matching the frame to make the finished bike seem more 'factory' so they got the same treatment.

zYSQIXr.jpg

As for the results.........WOW! I've never seen a powder coat that looks as close to a proper wet coat paint job. The candy effect makes the colour almost iridescent, turning from blue to purple in the light. Due to working I've yet to see this thing in sunlight but I'm sure it will look amazing! I couldn't resist building up all the parts I have so far. The chain is just a standard KMC Kool chain and a set of Vittoria Tattoo light 2.3 tyres I had sat around finish off the wheels. The tyres are modern but they are great on tarmac/hardpack and will help reduce the rolling weight of what was always going to be a tank of a bike. The chain tugs are suitably chunky to match the beefy drop outs but eventually I'd like to find another non-hanger style tug to match the other side.

cEbht3x.jpg

O41N2F8.jpg

LebKQjz.jpg

XHITcHa.jpg

Re:

Bit of an international kind of day. Two parcels of NOS treasure arrived, firstly a set of Azonic O'Neal double wall bars direct from O'Neal in the states. Azonic was an obvious choice to go with the Shorty stem and there's something classic and 'retro' about a set of silver polished bars.

JFKYOYl.jpg

Secondly a HS33 arrived from Germany. It's just a bare brake with no hardware but I had decided right at the start of the project I would be fitting a maggie and this is the right colour plus it is euro spec with a right hand lever. I always have the lever on the right when I run a single rear brake, it just feels more natural somehow even though I run fully braked bikes UK style with the front on the right. I already have a full set of evolution mounts in the parts box as well as a very sexy Magura CNC aluminium booster, was it called a Beefer Booster or something like that? I just need to order an olive so I can chop the hose to length and thread it through the hose guides on the frame. When I saw the original manual in the parcel, I got real excited in the hope that the sticker sheet was with it but no joy! I'd love the classic 'Magura, the passion people' sticker along the chainstay!

VhSP8KL.jpg

7OwCR9X.jpg

Re:

Coming together nicely there. If you want a nice light tyre that's suitable for pump tracks etc then I can recommend the Schwalbe tabletops, you can pick up a folding version for about £20 on ebay.

The chain tugs are suitably chunky to match the beefy drop outs but eventually I'd like to find another non-hanger style tug to match the other side.
Dug out my chain tugs and they have the gear hangar as well I'm afraid, also they're in worse condition than yours being black they have lots of scuffs.

Re: Re:

[/quote]Dug out my chain tugs and they have the gear hangar as well I'm afraid, also they're in worse condition than yours being black they have lots of scuffs.[/quote]

No worries, cheers for looking anyway. I've had tabletops in 24" flavour (think they were Timo Pritzel signatures) and yes they were very good tyres

Back