Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:12 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:52 pm 
Retro Guru

My Thomson parts arrived from Evans cycles, my plan is the Trail bars onto the Turner with the existing 50mm Thomson stem and layback post. Hopefully they will be a good fit for me. The bars have less rise but are slightly longer than the Race Face bars fitted.

The seat post clamp and 70mm stem will go on the Orange with the bars from the Turner. It currently has a 100mm stem which is a touch too long and narrower bars. So hopefully the combination of the shorter stem and wider bars will also fit me ok.

I have the option to swap stems about and the Orange has an inline post, so I should be able to get them both spot on. Once set up I will order a Thomson post for whichever bike ends up without one. I really fancy the Thomson dropper but it is a big chunk of money.

Annoyingly the Stem arrived from Evans with a bolt missing, after some complaining they reduced the price to £51.99 and gave me a £5 voucher for the inconvenience. The replacement bolt should be with me by the middle of the week.

Attachments:
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg [ 311.85 KiB | Viewed 256 times ]

Post subject: Re: One in - One out...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:22 pm 
Retro Guru

Got a call from Evans cycles today, they are sending me a replacement stem for delivery tomorrow instead of just the missing bolt.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:38 am 
Retro Guru

Evans came good and new stem arrived today, Course it is now 5 days late and I have to take the original stem to a drop & go shop to return it. Shame they didn't get it right first time but at least they corrected their mistake promptly, can't ask more than that I suppose.

Too cold to fit today and I start on nights tomorrow so it will be next week before I get round to doing anything now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:41 pm 
Old School Hero

Have you got these goodies fitted yet. I'm having a bar debate myself. I think I need a bit of a rise on mine to bring it up a bit. Getting old.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:34 pm 
Retro Guru

t wild wrote:
Have you got these goodies fitted yet. I'm having a bar debate myself. I think I need a bit of a rise on mine to bring it up a bit. Getting old.

Not yet, I thought it was time to get a torque wrench and do it right, that has now arrived but I am on nights. Hopefully have it done in the next few days.

Like you I am wondering if the Thomson XC bar is too low rise, especially as I bought a 0° rise stem!