DMR Trailstar mk1 slalom bike project

like the fork idea..i was think of doing the same with my sl lowers on judy race hydrofoils as risse racing have stop making the gem cartridges and slider shaft.

I think they're going to work out perfectly for this project. I'm still working out sealing as the external seal footbolts don't fit in the recesses behind the axle and the DHO seems to take slightly smaller diameter wipers than the later dual lip resiwipers. An O-ring and washer at the step on the plungers should work and maybe I can run a radial shaft seal in the recess below the wipers.

I spent this morning stripping the old, cracked sticker set with boiling water, then cut and polished the frame, wiped down with windex and installed a NOS sticker set (unfortunately, at this stage missing headtube and seat tube decals).
My chain tugs arrived so in my excitement I did a parts mockup today as I have nearly everything now. Waiting on a shifter (I'm going to cheat and use M810 Saint, it's grey and 9 speed), a new seatpost, and some red V8 Mags to match the frame.

1998 DMR Trailstar parts mockup by floody31, on Flickr

Cheers!

Got it rideable last week, it's pretty good if not bang on just yet. I've got a 9 speed Saint shifter as a stand-in until I find a M952 shifter, and only have a rear brake for now (I had four M950 brakes in various states of repair but I was only able to make one good one). The IRCs have gone, it was obvious as soon as I rolled out of the garage that they were useless for anything firmer than chocolate custard, the skinwall Panaracers are on until some High Rollers arrive at the local LBS. Aaaaand probably the most annoying thing, the 180mm cranks are no bueno. Too long, ridiculous toe overlap. Try and x-up or spin and it buzzes your feet, not ideal. Will have to find some 170 arms.

1998 DMR Trailstar by floody31, on Flickr

Azonic bar and stem, CK headset by floody31, on Flickr

Judy DHO/Judy Race 100 hybrid fork by floody31, on Flickr

Ringle Boxxer hub by floody31, on Flickr

XTR, Dura Ace 9s 12-23 cassette by floody31, on Flickr

GT/Hadley rear hub by floody31, on Flickr

SDG Bel Air ti rail by floody31, on Flickr

Back