Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:50 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:41 pm 
Retro Guru

I really like the Clark's M2 hydro brakes, usually about £35 a set on eBay and they are great, look good too. Only reason I am not using any is because of the XT badge on the other sets I have, but one of those suffered with a sticky piston which the Clark's haven't! I also find the Clark's easier to set up but I am a badge snob where bikes are concerned lol.

I have a nice set of black Mavic 117 disc rims on deore hubs with black spokes and avid 160 rotors you could have for £45 if you can get down near the Trafford Centre. Really nice wheels but again being a badge snob I won't be using them.

I

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:57 pm 
Old School Hero

Yeah I know what you mean there. I have the xt770 hubs in excelent condition but they have been laced to an Araya rm20 on the front that's well worn and a mavic 231 on the back which is ok but won't suit the bike so I'm going to lace up the hubs to new rims and when funds allow xt disc wheels and brakes. Along with the matching crank.

There's also a set of magura quake shocks on eBay which I'm sure were once fitted to this bike. I have not yet found a picture of this frame in this colour. In fact finding anything on these is hard but I have seen the early ones wearing magura rond shocks and there's not many storck bandits in the country. (I can't find any) and finding those in that colour is just too much of a coincidence. So their on the list and after that I think I'll be pretty happy. Well till something else comes along.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:13 am 
Retro Guru

Definitely rebuild those hubs into some new rims, since discovering retrobike I have built three wheels with plans for more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 pm 
Old School Hero

I used to lace up bmx wheels all the time but it has been a loooong time. Knocking on 20 years since I built a set but I'm sure it will all come back once I start.need a set of rims first then crack on with it. Might go mad and snowflake them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:47 pm 
Old School Hero

I wasn't going to do anything else but ride it for now until I found this in a customers garage looking forlorn.

https://flic.kr/p/21ZboVW

The shifters need work and it was in pieces but it has the correct era ish parts including xt hollowtech crank and best of all hope hydro breaks with matching hope wheels with decent rotors.

A deal was done and into the van she went. The brakes need work and it hasn't been used for a while but the hubs are smooth and the wheels appear to be in good nick.

Not fully decided what to do with the rest of it yet and I'm sure to get shouted at off the kona lovers but I'm building the storck because it's a genuine one off.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:22 pm 
Old School Hero

Stripped the kona down and the breaks need work before they get fitted but they will do nicely for this and the crank is going on as well. The kona will get the wheels and crank off this along with the rest of the deore kit from my carrera and the xt v brakes. I'm not one for full sussers usually but this feels like a quality piece of kit and from what I've read it is. so it's going to get built up and see how I feel about it. As for the storck it will soon have the complete xt group and hope hydro.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 am 
Retro Guru

I would have been all over that Kona too. Not owned one yet so definitely on my list.