Danson gearbox...now with added weirdness.

Re: No, it's a gearbox NOT a bloody motor...

Sweet machine, love the EWR inspired look. The upgrade to Onyx is a good decision (you know you can have a custom logo on it for free too?). The Onyx hub makes the drivetrain more direct as well. It virtually takes the second freewheel away as the engagement is 100% direct.
One question, why no belt?

ps, my machine:

p5pb15246307.jpg

Hi, Y-E,

Nice frame....and good to see some sensible XC geometry (72.5/71º). not all the long and slack 74/65º stuff.
I made a Ti frame a few years ago running an Alfine hub, like your Antelope model, but I now much prefer the central mounted weight of the Pinion. Are you using the PMW Ti Pinion bridge, or do you make them yourselves like the chainstay yoke?

Yes, I am really liking the direct feel of the Onyx hub and the silent rolling.
I would have tried a belt, as I have the sprockets etc, but I did not have a mill and lathe to fabricate the seat-stay splitter at the time of building and I couldn't find any ready-made ones as framebuilding parts.
I have now have the machine tools and some suitable 7005 billet, so the next frame will have a a splitter and a belt to try out.

All the best,

danson67":hkgg2c0f said:
Are you using the PMW Ti Pinion bridge, or do you make them yourselves like the chainstay yoke?
All CNC parts on our bike are own design, from the cable guides to the Yokes, drop-outs etc. Gives a lot of satisfaction to work with your own "lego box" of parts :D Lucky to have an in house designer that likes to freak out on the smallest details. :mrgreen:

danson67":hkgg2c0f said:
Yes, I am really liking the direct feel of the Onyx hub and the silent rolling.
I would have tried a belt, as I have the sprockets etc, but I did not have a mill and lathe to fabricate the seat-stay splitter at the time of building and I couldn't find any ready-made ones as framebuilding parts.
I have now have the machine tools and some suitable 7005 billet, so the next frame will have a a splitter and a belt to try out.
All the best,

Yup, the specific tooling requires some dedication to make .... or €'s to buy :facepalm: but the reward of being able to have your "Solid Works" and "Metal Works" combined is worth it.

You'll love the belt as it makes the drive train even more direct and silent.

Thumbs up for your creations, like your style!

How much are the gear units running to ?
This should be the way forward.

Now with 50% added weirdness :D

Lauf fork...I'm always partial to a linkage fork...even when there are no actual pivots involved...

All the best,

Attachments

• P1530535 - Copy (Small).JPG
    P1530535 - Copy (Small).JPG
    77 KB · Views: 1,116
Re:

I tried the Lauf for a week ....... conclusion.... not for my posture and riding style. The Pinion is there to stay though!

Re:

I tried a Lauf fork in Aviemore couple of years back.... I wasn't sold.

On fire-roads I thought they were great, zero trail buzz.... was spooky how well they worked, but with no pivot or stiction that's where they excel.

Throw something more technical at them though and it all starts to go wrong. Tree roots and small rocky sections caused them to lose the plot, I kept stopping as it felt like something was broken, like the steerer tube had an elastomer, the fork just couldn't keep up with bar inputs....

Funky looking though :cool:

Back