One in - One out...

davidj

Senior Retro Guru
Since my return to regular cycling a few years ago I seem to get stuck on multiple examples of one brand/one model. I started with my original Coyote HT2 I had from the 90s, I decided I wanted another bike so bought the exact same model one size smaller!

I then dropped on a Marin X frame as my first ever full suspension, after a lot of time deciding what to do with it I went XT M8000 1x11. No sooner was this done I bought another X frame one size smaller, but space dictated the smaller Coyote HT2 had to go.

I recently decided there are two many bikes and not enough space to keep getting hung up on more than one brand/model. So the 15.5" Marin X Frame is donating some parts to my new bike and the remaining parts are to be sold including the frame.

This is all to make space for my just acquired 1999 GT XCR 4000 iDrive. Only problem is the 17" GT feels smaller than the 15.5" Marin. I haven't had time to change the setup yet and it is wet and dark now but hopefully it will all come good tomorrow. I will get some pictures then - but from here on in all my bikes are going to be distinctive from one another...Oh and no more than four at a time ;-).

Re:

Today I finally got to have a play with my (new to me) 1999 Solar Citrus GT XCR 4000 in daylight. As I suspected it isn't the 17" frame I thought I was buying, more like 15". It is nearly 2 inches shorter than my 17" Marin X frame along the virtual top tube. I have it set up now so I can ride it and I was pleasantly surprised with the way it goes but it does feel short especially when taking tight corners. I will have to see how I get on with it.

I suppose I could complain to the vendor it isn't what was advertised but equally I could have asked for more specific measurements before purchase. I should have asked more questions as this is now the 3rd time I have bought a bike that was incorrectly advertised as a size above its actual size!

Unfortunately it doesn't take a rear disk brake either, I knew that before purchase but I had forgotten how much better they are than V brakes.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage14.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage14.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 2,977
Re:

Had the GT out for a decent ride yesterday and I was equally impressed and disappointed by it!

Despite the Judy C forks being too soft for my weight it rides along nicely. Despite its unsophisticated front and rear shocks it is really plush. The uphills on my way home seemed to take less effort than needed for the Marin it is replacing. This iDrive business genuinely seems to work.

The frame is just too short for me, I am used to a longer top tube! The seat can't go further back and I don't usually get on with stems beyond 100mm on mountain bike. Even if I did stretch out the front my position for pedalling feels off.

So I either have to (again) buy another bike same as I have in a different size , DOH, which is appealing due to the way it rides and especially if I can find one with a rear disc mount. Or just look for something else that appeals but in the right size!!

I will give this GT a while longer to see if we can gel but I expect it will be going back on eBay shortly.

Re:

I went looking for a larger size iDrive frame, but accidently bought the frame for this - you know, like you do! I have built it up out of my spares and I am loving it. So by my own rules it is good bye GT, you were great but ultimately too small for me!

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (41).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (41).jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 2,744
Re:

I finally have managed to buy a bike that fits me :). I had to up my budget but I am very happy with it.

Sadly my Marin has to go, I can't justify two full suspension bikes. I am still at four bikes so another will have to be culled soon....

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (8).jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 2,415
Re:

I've gone and done it again! Already done loads of work to make it mine and winterize it.

Means after 20 years my Coyote HT2 frame is up for sale along with loads of other stuff to be listed.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (47).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (47).jpg
    378 KB · Views: 2,211
Nice that. I need to start following your philosophy but I have just gathered the rest of the parts to make the storck a full bike. It's been spread around the house in many pieces until now so it's not really another bike I've bought just assembled from bits I had. That's my excuse but I still have nowhere to put it.

Re:

Space is always an issue for me also, I have secure storage for three bikes and temporary storage for one more. Right now the "Inn is full", but the Rock Lobster (Merlin Malt) is destined to be taken apart and polished over the winter, it can live in the loft while this is happening.

I will then have temporary space for anything that catches my eye ;).

I've got a storage box outside with four complete bikes in pieces and my big shed that has three in along with the usual shed stuff. I can get another in at a squeeze but potential for damage is high so the storck is in the dining room at the moment. The wife doesn't like it but it's only been there a day. Oh and my brother has one at his house. I nearly forgot about that. I officially have no space left. I can't stop looking though.

Back