Kona Score

Wasnt sure the tt length was correct until you measured yours. I imagine that it was designed around a shorter sttem with it being an Out of bounds frame.

Mark

Re:

Rightyho, I have popped in a temporary Head Set until I buy a Chris King, and the forks are held in place in these shots with a temporary Race Face Stem. It will be fitted with a FRM Web-Stem at 90mm x 10’ from my decommissioned Scapin Kyoto :( – it was this bike that I decided would make way for the Score. Hopefully the short-ish FRM Stem will accommodate the longer Top Tube of the Score frame.

The Seat Post in the shot is also temporary, until I fit the Thomson Elite In-line that arrived today. :D

The BB7000 Bottom Bracket is now fitted with some K-Force Ceramic bearings to replace the original shockingly poor quality bearings that FSA decided to fit :roll: – goodness knows what they were thinking, as they were proper cack….. all good now though.

The Forks were set up by TFT, and are 475mm C-A. They told me that it made them chuckle to receive something other than SIDs from me, as they have probably set up about a dozen pairs of SIDs for me over the years. :LOL:

. by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip.

Re:

It is now rideable, and although it is not quite in a state of final build, I can say that I am impressed with how it feels.

I can’t usually get comfortable with an in-line Seat Post on an 18” Kona frame, but the extra-long Top Tube of this Score frame seems to work with a more forward riding position. I have only popped around the block to get an idea, but it doesn’t take me long to know when a build has immediately come together to my liking…. and this one has.

The biggest dilemma for me was whether to fit V-Brakes or Discs. I came close to fitting some Avid Ultimate Vs that are currently on my 2000 Explosif. However, as Kona had taken the plunge in 2000 to make frames with Disc Tabs as standard, I though it rude not to fit some discs to this Score. They are Formula Oro K18. I have Oro’s on two other bikes of mine, and I have always got on well with them – easy to bleed and easy to service with multiple & complete collection of spares archived here.

The 2007 SRAM X0 Shifters and Rear Mech are a real favourite of mine, and TFT have got the 2007 Reba forks plush to my liking.

Finally, the missing Seat Tube Decal has now been sorted – as always, a big thank you to Gil.

Pip

:cool: Nice, very nice! I think the discs suit it, kinda looks cleaner. How does the Ti feel compared to other Ti frames? Is it a lot stiffer?

Mark

Re:

Cheers Mark,

It’s a bit too early for me to comment on the difference without taking it out on a proper ride, but it does seem to be stiffer laterally, presumably due to the bigger Down Tube & 34.9mm Seat Tube. I pop both brakes on, then with the cranks parallel to the ground, stand heavily on the forward facing pedal; you can get an idea of how much sideways flex it has.

What it interesting though is that both the Chain and Seat Stays on the Score are different dimensions from my two 1997 King Kahuna frames, which are also different from my 1998 Hei Hei frame. I just assumed that they would all be the same, and that just the front triangle of each model would have been where the differences were…. I wonder if a 2000 King Kahuna has the same rear end?

Pip

Lovely... you must have the best kona collection in the world...

So whats next :LOL: :LOL:
You want to get hold of kona.com, show them how their older bikes are still hoing strong and have a healthy "kult following"
Just on idea ;)
Ernie :LOL:

Ernie":po989d33 said:
Lovely... you must have the best kona collection in the world...
Blimey Ernie, what about your own stable down there in that Kona Shrine of yours….. ;)

A beautiful TET Hot with one of the best paint jobs that I’ve seen on one…. the Iconic Rasta Flame ’97 Hot….. and what about that 1997/8 Hot with Reynolds Bi-Ovalised 853 & decorated with Stars ‘n’ Bars (probably one of the last ever produced that was welded by Enigma :shock: ….. a Hei Hei, a King Kahuna …. I could go on – now that is a bike collection.

Ernie":po989d33 said:
So whats next :LOL: :LOL:
Well there's the 6 – 4 Titanium King Kahuna from 1999, which may not even exist, and the “Flame” custom Ku from 1996/1997 that definitely does exist. :)

Pip.

Re:

Thanks for the kind words mate...Got a feeling you will find one..."the best comes to those you wait" ;)

Score looks tight and cool ;)

Ernie ;)

Re:

This really is a class machine and in the right hands too. I'm looking forward to a proper ride report :)

Re:

Ride report:
I have nearly got this build complete to my liking now, with just the Headset to be replaced and a couple of Brake Boss blanking plugs currently on order.

Some members on here may be aware that I am an advocate for fitting components that were manufactured later in history than the frame to which they are attached. Most of the components on this Score are from late noughties –
‘07 Reba forks,
’07 Hope Pro III Straight Pull / DT Swiss XR 4.2d wheels,
’07 SRAM 0X Shifters / Mech,
‘08 FSA Afterburner Mega Exo Crank, you get the idea.
I have however up until now avoided using mega wide bars that have become so popular with Trail Riding / All Mountain / Enduro et al….. Bear in mind that I am a skinny waif, with a whippet like stature most suited to spindly light weight Cross Country bikes.

So with this in mind, I purchased the widest bars that I presumed would suit the macho /aggressive stance of Kona’s flagship Out Of Bounds machine. A set of Truvativ Stylo T30 Riser Bars at a monster wide 710mm :shock:

Kona Score 040817DSF by Philip Mock, on Flickr

On paper, the geometry and set-up of the Score generally shouldn’t suit my riding. When I was a mechanic in a LBS, I had the opportunity to ride many bikes, so I gained a broad breadth of experience of the more modern bike - I even bought one :roll: :!: :roll:. Colleagues in the shop often accused me of being “Retro-Bias”, when I found that I was never at ease on these newer machines with longer than 80mm travel forks – 450mm C-A. So the Score should be outside my comfort zone with its longer C-A. This is the reason that I overlooked (avoided?) this frame for my collection up until now. However, now that I have ridden a Score, I can say with certainty that there is something about the Score’s geometry that kicks those newer machines in the nads ;).

Ride details:
This higher front end / wider bar set-up makes me ride with a more ‘point and go’ approach – as opposed to picking my line that I am accustomed to with my nippier X.C. machines. Hopefully without over-egging it, I guess you could say that I adjusted to this somewhat different geometry & set-up with a more assertive boldness. You guys out there with more strength than I have may not understand what I am describing here, but I rely more on rhythm and momentum to crack out the miles, rather than pure power.

Onwards:
The Score has none of the wallowing gait that I previously experienced on that aforementioned modern bike that I own – my now decommissioned Maxlight XC Pro. A lovely bike, and those Rebas were fitted to it, but it felt like an ocean liner by comparison with its lumbering posture; this despite the Maxlight being lighter :? .

The rear triangle on the Score has beefier Seat & Chain Stays compared to my two 1997 King Kahuna frames. The Score’s Seat & Chain Stays are not only bigger than the K.K. in both height & width, but the Chain Stays are also ovalised towards the Bottom Bracket, while the K.K.s smaller Chain Stays are round and very slightly tapered. Somebody a little heavier than me may be able to benefit more from the heavier construction of the Score, but with everything else considered... well let’s just say I’m probably not built to push this frame to its full potential. Anyway, as I said earlier (Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:10 am) there is less horizontal flex across the Bottom Bracket, so this will help get the power along the chain to the rear.

The first proper ride out was my usual jaunt around the former Greenham Common Air Base. I remained sat down in 10th gear during the fairly steep climb up there, so we were pleased about that.

The Score does indeed have a more rigid feel to the back end compare to my King Kahunas and Hei Hei, and I had a blast of a time hurtling around the common. The more forward reaching set up reminds me of my 1998 Hot, which to this day remains a mystery as to why it (the Hot) feels like that – but we are loving it. The wider bars on the Score are a bit of concern when riding down narrow tracks, but out along the wider trails, it is a beaut of a machine. A round of applause.

Pip

Back